Sudden litter box issues - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 02:27 PM Thread Starter

Sudden litter box issues

I've been at home ill for the past 6 mos. A couple of weeks ago went back to work full-time. My larger cat has been pooping and pee-ing everyplace BUT the litter box. I know he's probably upset w/the change, but we're going on the 3rd week & I can't stand the mess - it's disgusting! Having no trouble w/his brother, only him. HELP!

(PS. No, he's not sick. He has his brother for company. The litter box is scooped twice a day. I'm on the same work schedule I was on before I got sick.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 03:16 PM
Super Moderator

Re: Sudden litter box issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneldybug
PS. No, he's not sick.
Have you had the vet check him out? Being unhappy about your return to work is stressful and stress can trigger a UTI. You cannot assume that it's purely behavioral unless he's been tested.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 03:34 PM Thread Starter

took him to the vet on Sat. no health issues.....didn't have much time w/the Vet cuz they had a doggie emergency in the middle of the visit.

I realize that cats (especially Persians) will 'act out' when they are unhappy, but for over 2 weeks?!?!

his biggest potential health issue right now.....his mommy wanting to strangle him! LOL!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 03:50 PM
Premier Cat

Was the vet able to get a sample of urine to specifically test for an UTI? If not, there is still that possibility. I don't think UTI can be diagnosed by just looking at the cat, or lightly touching it. I think it has to be a urine test or possibly a blood test?

I wanted to add, if he's been doing this for two weeks, is he 'going' in the same places? It could be that residual smell is still in those areas, telling him they are now bathroom areas and it is okay to go there. I like to use enzymatic cleaners like Simple Solution, Odo Ban and Nature's Miracle. These products break down the enzymes creating stains/odors and remove them.
h

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

Yes, they did urine & blood & ultra-sound. They have the facilities at their office, so can get results in an hour or so (depending on the test, of course). Anyway, he doesn't have the issue. At this point, some spots are definitely becoming a habit for him , but he's also finding new spots. Honestly, he's always been a great boy....but now...

Was wondering about limiting his access to the house (maybe only one room or a large dog cage?). Or, would that just agitate him further?
Need to do something to stop this.

(yes, I am only kidding about strangling him).
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 04:56 PM
Premier Cat

Get a new box and use Kitten Attract Litter in it. Also give it R&R by Azmira and Spray by Azmira. You can squirt it in it mouth or put it in its water bowl. Heard good results with this.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 05:07 PM Thread Starter

THANKS SO MUCH MITTS! Will try those things! I'm truly at my wits end w/him!
Can I get that at any pet store (ie PetSmart, etc)?
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 05:16 PM
Premier Cat

When I get new cats to tame (feral or feral-ish) I contain them in my master bathroom until they learn that sinks/tubs are not for pottying, and begin to use the litterbox. Perhaps he needs to be contained in an easily cleaned area and only allowed out into the rest of the house with supervision until he changes his habits?

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 08:39 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneldybug
THANKS SO MUCH MITTS! Will try those things! I'm truly at my wits end w/him!
Can I get that at any pet store (ie PetSmart, etc)?
We get our litter and drops at the Holistic Pet Store in Tucson for our "problem" kitties. I know you most likely able to find it on line to order too. Keep us posted on your progress.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 10:18 AM

I've used the "Cat Attract" litter and it's wonderful. I've purchased it at Pet Supplies Plus and maybe also seen it at Petco. It's called "Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract".

Maybe add an additional box with the Cat Attract litter in it. I think the idea of confining him to one room with his new box until he re-learns good litter habits is a good one too.

Good luck and hope you continue to feel better!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page