Too smart for thier own good??? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to mstx
Too smart for thier own good???

Ok Izzy is showing her smarts lately.....

I leave our bathroom door open when Im home alone for two reason 1)Im afraid of breakins and always have to have and escape root 2) the cats hate doors being closed and so they meow and scratch alot at the door. So to say the least when I use the restroom I have 2 sets of eyes at the door . Well I was wondering why the bathroom has smelled like the cats room lately because everything was just washed down with bleach. Well I got my answer this morning when I caught Izzy going pee rights next to the toilet .... I guese she decided that if that room was good enough for mommy to go potty in that it was good enough for her too So now we have to keep the door closed at all time so that she uses the litter box instead of next to the toilet

Last edited by marie73; 03-12-2015 at 05:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 03:18 PM
Super Moderator

Yes, she's smart, but it's not because she's trying to mimic you....she's telling you that there's something wrong. She may have a urinary tract infection, may not like the litter, you may not be scooping often enough, she may want more litter boxes etc. Keeping the door closed will only insure that she picks another place to go (that isn't her litter box).

First order of business is a vet visit to rule out a UTI (most common reason for peeing outside the box). If she's clear then you need to look at the other potential reasons she may be going outside the box. And you need to clean the place she's been peeing with an enzymatic cleaner to break down the urine, otherwise she'll always think it's a great place to go. Even if you can't smell it, she can.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Yea I already spread and cleaned it with pet stain remover. The last vet visit she was checked for UTI and she was negitive. I just cleaned the litter box that morning as I do every morning so it wasnt the litter box. I might try a different litter type but I really like the kind we have bc its the clump one with crystals. Oh well we shall see
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 03:58 PM
Super Moderator

Well the litter type needs to be something she likes and if you can find something that you both like it's a bonus.

Sounds like you have one litter box for 2 cats. The recommended is one for each cat plus one more, so technically you should have 3. I'd suggest adding at least one more and see how that goes.

Seems like she's done this several times, so there's obviously something wrong from her perspective...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

We had another one but she wouldnt use it. All they did with the other litter box is play in the litter and lay in it. I'll see if I can find a different litter for her.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 04:09 PM
Super Moderator

She's getting older, she may use it now....

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 04:26 PM
Cool Cat

She was almost there lol. Mt friend's cat decided to actually use the toilet one day, he does not use the litter boc any more, just the potty, perhaps he can smell urine in it...
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 04:37 PM
Premier Cat

My Rainbow Bridge kitty, Sam, used the toilet if he thought the litter box was too stinky. Then he'd complain to me.
It looked like using the toilet was really awkward for him.

You could try putting another litter box next to the toilet for Izzy, Megan
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Oh hubby wont allow that.... Im debating training her to use the toilet.... I dont think it would be hard to train her since she is really smart
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 11:44 PM
Cat

I know exactly what you mean about not being able to close the bathroom door!!! One of our cats has a habit of jumping up on the toilet if we forget to close the lid, and he scratches and scratches on the toilet seat, both after he uses the litterbox (in the adjoining laundry room) or if we use it. It's like he's saying "I know what this toilet-thingy is all about!" I haven't yet caught him actually using the toilet, but I think it would be a snap to train him to use it. And I know Monkey would be very easy to train to use the toilet, that little bugger is just too smart for his own good.

We have an offer on a new house and are trying to sell our current one, and at the new house there is an extra half-bath kind of out of the way that we'll never use. I'm seriously thinking of trying to toilet train at least two of the three cats in there, sure would make my litterbox scooping easier LOL!

Andi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page