Questions about traveling with cats - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-26-2008, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Questions about traveling with cats

So, next week I'm moving to Iowa. Me, my dad, and the two crying cats in the back seat all the way from North Carolina!

I've been reading the old threads on this issue and still have a few questions.

I've seen suggestions to stop at rest stops to offer food/water/litter. How often should we do this? And more importantly, how? I've bought a nice, big carrierso I can put both ladies together in the back seat, but it will be rather cramped to have both cats AND the pan I bought to be the travel litter box in there at the same time. (I'm not sure I'll be able to manage it.) The rest of the back seat will be filled with houseplants so there will be no place to put the box there, either. Put them on a leash and put the box outside the car? (I was planning on keeping harnesses but not leashes on while they're in the crate.)

Also, I'm not sure what to do about feeding. I know you generally withhold food for several hours before traveling, but we'll be staying in hotels for several days along the way, so the best we could do is feed the ladies immediately upon waking. Does that sound sufficient?

Do I need to get a fan to keep the ladies cool, in addition to the car AC?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-26-2008, 01:46 PM
Premier Cat

When we moved with a kitty we just stopped when we needed to and allowed her to wander around the U-Haul cab with the litter pan on the passenger floor. We also offered water at that time.

When we stopped at the hotel at night we gave her food and water and the litter pan all night. She pretty much just slept the entire time the car was in motion.

Make sure that you have all their vet records with you in the car.

Good luck on your move!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-27-2008, 12:48 AM
Premier Cat

I would have the litter pan in there with them. They will probably sleep most of the time anyway after they do their initial crying! I helped my sister move and her cats threw up when we first started! They didnt seem to want to eat while driving so we fed them in the hotel room when we stopped for the night.

Be sure and have a collar with your cell phone number on it. Just incase! And have them chipped before you leave.

Have a safe trip! Or move!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-27-2008, 02:27 PM

i drove from minnesota to seattle with 2 kitties in a minivan. i put them on leashes and harnesses so they could move about but not be a danger. i had a litter pan in the car but they totally ignored it until we were in the hotels at night. my girl crawled under the seat in the back and refused to come out. my boy got brave enough to sit in the window and watch the world go by. it was adorable. but most of the time they slept.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-27-2008, 02:37 PM
Banned

I'm surprised that hotels alow animals in them...
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-27-2008, 03:23 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge
I'm surprised that hotels alow animals in them...
A good number of hotels in the US are animal friendly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page