Cat collar - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-26-2008, 06:31 PM Thread Starter

Cat collar

Kiddles lost her collar for the second time. The first collar had her tags and she lost that one and now the second one had no tags and she lost that one too. Should I continue to put collars on her? I want to microchip her so I will be asking the vet about that when she gets her next appointment. She is indoor/outdoor which I don't like but my parents where the once that let her out, I don't like it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-27-2008, 12:53 AM
Senior Cat

I would keep a collar on her so if someone sees her, they can tell she belongs to someone and is likely not a wild or stray cat. My two are also indoor/outdoor and occasionally loose their collars.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lucille & Koko
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-27-2008, 03:38 AM
Cat

I do not like collars on cats that go outside, for a number of reasons. Hanging on a fence being one. We used to have a cat hang around from the neighborhood, one day he had his collar stuck in his mouth so his mouth was stuck open and he was drooling everywhere, I removed it. Everytime i saw that cat with a collar, i took it off. Owners gave up. Your cat might not be losing collars, someone might be removing them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-27-2008, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loving_My_Cats
I do not like collars on cats that go outside, for a number of reasons. Hanging on a fence being one. We used to have a cat hang around from the neighborhood, one day he had his collar stuck in his mouth so his mouth was stuck open and he was drooling everywhere, I removed it. Everytime i saw that cat with a collar, i took it off. Owners gave up. Your cat might not be losing collars, someone might be removing them.
Could be it the problem is she doesn't like strangers, she only comes to people she knows (nobody from town comes to our house as visitors). I don't like collars on cats either but I always have in mind "What if something happends to her?" who ever finds her can atleast let me know.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-27-2008, 07:05 PM
Premier Cat

Is Kiddles microchipped?
I have tried collars on Arianwen, but it just doesn't work. My little smart-aleck just takes them off. I think for her to not take it off, the collar would have to be uncomfortably/unsafely tight. So I take solace in the fact that she's 'chipped, and stays close to me when we're out.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 02:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunterkat
Is Kiddles microchipped?
I have tried collars on Arianwen, but it just doesn't work. My little smart-aleck just takes them off. I think for her to not take it off, the collar would have to be uncomfortably/unsafely tight. So I take solace in the fact that she's 'chipped, and stays close to me when we're out.
No she is not chipped YET she has a visit to the vet sometime in August and I want to ask him if they microchip hopefully they do and if they don't I will look else where.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 06:56 PM
Kitten

My cats had those break away collars and were constantly losing them. I got them chipped with homeagain. My one cat got it put in very easily, the other cat is very stocky and had a hard time with it. They had to knock him out he got so upset, but he is perfectly fine with it.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 07:10 PM

Both Gabby and Simba are microchipped. I wouldn't have it any other way, even with them being indoor only cats. Simba actually just got 'chipped today. He did really well with it. The needle is just a little bigger than the normal injection needle. It was about 40 bucks. If your vet doesn't do it, I know that most of the independent pet stores in my area (not like petsmart or petco, but the little pet stores) have clinics about every other week where they do injections and microchipping. So if your vet doesn't do it you might want to talk to the local pet stores.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-01-2008, 01:23 AM
Premier Cat

After I got Arianwen chipped, I asked her if it hurt. Her answer was to give me blinkies and a light nip. So I guess it didn't hurt much.

The vet and assistants loved her, and said she was an angel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page