Gracie's choice: guests or workmen..who's better? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 02:42 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Gracie's choice: guests or workmen..who's better?

Well, we've had an exhausting week!

For the last eight days or so, we've had painters working on the deck and railing - they've been pressure-washing, sanding, sometimes with heavy plastic sheeting over the windows (weird - like being on a ship in the fog)...Then, last weekend and this weekend, my brother and his two kids came to visit. During the week they went to fun places (San Diego Zoo, Wild Animal Park, Seaworld and Legoland) but they came back Friday. Jamie was gone, so for entertainment the kids wanted to play with the kitty! When she'd hide, they would run up and down the hall hitting each other with cat toys and shrieking. My poor brother has not been a single dad all that long (recent divorce) so he was not really on top of things until it was chaos...

So, guess who Gracie liked better? It took a day or two for her to stop hiding when the workmen started - now she goes from room to room to watch from the windows and swivels her ears when the one man sings along with the radio...

But while my niece and nephew were here, she found places to hide we've never dreamed of - behind and under and between, even in her cat carrier! She was fine with the kids when she was a kitten, but now, forget it! (Remember Eddie Murphy in Beverly Hills Cop - "deep DEEP cover!") By the end of the visit, she was okay with one person at a time, but still disappeared when the volume went up!

I think she appreciates Jamie more, too. He always wants to carry her around, but he's way way calmer than the five-year old cousin...!

Fran
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 04:05 AM
Banned

We had a 5 year old over yesterday Jeez, if a female is ever willing to live with me, remind me to ALWAYS err protect myself.

Fortunately Pegs clawed him pretty well, so he got just desserts (you would have thought she'd bitten his leg off, for the fuss he made). I mean if you're going to hold onto her tail, to stop her leaving whilst screaming, then you're going to get mauled. His owners were bright enough to tell him serve him right though, so I think he learnt.

It's funny isn't it? Some kids are brilliant with cats, like my 1 year old niece. Some don't know how to behave.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 09:47 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge
His owners

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 11:14 AM

My sister's children (5 1/2 & 4) will be meeting Gizmo for the first time in a couple of weeks. Their kitty was inherited from another family member already declawed on all four paws ( ), so they'll have a rude awakening about what a displeased cat is all about if they mess with Giz. My sister has been trying to tell them what is acceptable and safe and what is not, but as far as she's concerned, Giz has a right to communicate his limits and teach her children to respect them. I love my sister!

P.S., I'll watch out for my niece and nephling, I don't want them to go through what I did to find out that he doesn't like his his tail end patted.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

...It wasn't that they were mean or grabby - they were just too loud and moved too quickly!

Actually, I was very disappointed compared to how they all got along in December, when Gracie was still very kittenish and the kids were gentler. And worse, they haven't spent any time learning about cats. My brother (an attorney who can sometimes be a little pompous ) kept saying "oh, we know all about cats, the kids have three of them at home". At one point they had seven.

Then he let slip the question of whether we had declawed Gracie right away? And Emma said all of their young cats were declawed when spayed "because otherwise they would scratch, which one of them tries, for instance, whenever she gets petted for more than a few minutes", and that their kitties are all overweight, too - since they eat too much dry food. When I said canned might be better, she said they can't feed canned because how do you separate three cats for individual meals...? It made me so sad to hear all of that, I didn't even try to communicate across the great divide, Emma argued and my brother wouldn't listen at all...

Fran
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 02:36 PM
Banned

It's very annoying when people are as ignorant about cats as that, and awful when it's your own family.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 03:18 PM
Super Moderator

I'll take hunky construction guys over kids any day

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 04:35 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlebug
I'll take hunky construction guys over kids any day
Me too.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 11:57 PM
Senior Cat

oh yeah

2 boxers Miki & Monty
Boy Cats: Tucker,Freeway,Tyson,Copicat,Mike
Girl Cats : Magic, Garfield, Buggie,Lexie,Spike,Ginger,Blue,Spooky,Rotten, Trouble
Strays: Charlie
2 Conures,2 African Greys,1 Black winged Jardine
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 06:20 AM
Banned

I'll pass on both thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page