Almost let Grace go... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Almost let Grace go...

So, I have the two foster cats still in my house. Sassy and her kitten Gracie.

Two weeks ago, at Petco, Grace was HORRIBLE. She squirmed, bit, hissed...she was terrible. She was also alone because Ollie got adopted in the morning. So...I was hoping she would be better this past Saturday because her mommy was with her. She wasn't.

So, it doesn't seem like she is going to be able to be adopted out at Petco. So we talked it over with the shelter lady and she thought there might be room at the local place which had a shop where cats were adopted out. It's a home-like environment where the cats run free around the place and people adopt them from there.

A man agreed to foster Grace over the weekend and if they bonded, he might adopt her. It sounded pretty good to me! This guy was just kind of getting back on his feet and felt that he could afford a cat now. (He lives over the shop where they adopt out the cats).

So, my3babies and I took Grace and headed over....It was horrible. It stunk like smoke and was a tiny apartment (1 bedroom...no bath or cooking facilities...they are shared). It was relatively clean...but...It was horrible. There was NO WAY IN **** I was leaving my Grace there. I walked in with m3b and just started crying. Just bawling. I couldn't leave her but I couldn't figure out how NOT to leave her. Especially without hurting this guy's feelings. He was SO excited to have her. And I WANT to help people get back on their feet. And maybe the responsibility of another life would have really helped this man but...I couldn't let that life be Grace's. I felt terrible all around.

m3b really helped. She told the guy that she didn't think I was going to be able to let her go. That I was just going to have to keep her. I finally told him that I was sorry but that I was going to keep her and we fled the place.

I cried half of the drive back home (the shelter and the Petco are 2.5 hours away from my house). But I could NOT leave my poor baby there, no way in ****.

What a terrible experience. I think we are going to try to get Grace adopted out from my house. Maybe a local shelter will let us put her on their petfinder site. And have potential adoptees come out to the house. We'll do Sassy (the mom) on there too. She was equally horrible at Petco...but in a different way. Just frozen in fear. If I had more time and more space, I'd just keep them. They fit in SO well with the boys. If only I didn't have so many problems with Kitty (my senior girl)...I'd be able to keep the both of them.

Oh well. I just had to share it was such a terrible experience and I've never had to do anything like that before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 07:11 PM
Premier Cat

Second-hand smoke is probably worse for a kitty than for a human. Their lungs are smaller, their liver is much smaller, and they have much smaller blood volume than we do. All of which adds up to a kitty being very much more susceptible to the damaging effects of smoke.
You made the right decision!
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 11:05 PM
Cool Cat

Oh no What a horrible situation! But it sounds like you really made the right choice.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page