The difference in vets - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 10:43 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

The difference in vets

Recently my cat Buzz was diagnosed with anemia. The vet clinic I use is owned by a husband and wife team who were on vacation when Buzzy became sick. I had to go to one of their colleagues to find out what was wrong with him. She ran the blood test and found out that Buzz had an HTC level of 8. She then told us that he could get a blood transfusion that would be very expensive and only be temporary, or she would give him a steriod shot and we could take him home and wait for him to die. She told us to call when we were ready to euthanize.
Instead I went home and got on-line with my FeLV+ group for suggestions. They were very helpful and supportive. Because of their suggestiions I called the vet and demanded Doxycycline for Buzz.
Tuesday Dr. Tom was back from vacation. Buzz' blood was re-tested in the morning and I had a consultation with him at 5:00pm. His HCT was up to 11. Dr. Tom spent an hour with me discussing all the options and the pros and cons of each. He then promised to further look into some of the things we discussed and get back to me. Two hours later he called. He had been researching anemia and FeLV+ kitties since I had left his office! Because of the things he found out, Buzz was put on prednisone and continued with the Doxycycline. When we left it yesterday we were going to see how that plan worked and he is getting plan B ready if plan A doesn't work.
What an amazing difference in the way each vet approched my beloved friend! It seems that plan A is working because Buzz is much more alert today and has more of an appetite. His blood will be re-tested again Friday. I am still very angry that the first vet was ready to throw Buzzy out with the trash! Some vets should find another career.

Sue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 11:28 PM
Premier Cat

Was the colleague vet you saw primarily a dog veterinarian?
I have found that some vets are very blatantly dog-people, and are actually passive-aggressive toward cats in their practice. It's a real shame...
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 12:00 AM
Cool Cat

Good for you, good for Dr. Tom, and good for Buzzy --I hope! It can be difficult to find a vet who doesn't automatically assume that just because a cat is FeLV+ (or FIV+ or has other underlying problems or is aged) can't be helped. Two problems at once doesn't always mean that they are related, and it's worth a shot to treat the problem as if the cat were healthy otherwise.

My other peeve is that many vets, at the mere mention that a cat is indoor/outdoor, assume that the cat has some dire disease (and that the owner is not a caring person with love for his pets). I've been through that many times and gone home with "death sentences", just as you were supposed to do. I always did just as you did. I researched for hours and hours, then found a vet who was willing to think and listen. None of the "sentences" were imposed!

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you criticize him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

=(^.^)= Elsie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 12:31 AM
Premier Cat

I had an anemic cat who received a blood transfusion. It was temporary relief, but it was NOT expensive. The vet clinic had office cats they used as blood donors.
I did wind up losing Bonnie, but it was because she had some sort of growth growing larger and blocking her esophagus. Vet advised surgery was not an option.
I'm glad your Dr. Tom is a good and caring vet for you and your pets.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 04:27 AM
Banned

I used to call my old vet 'Mr Fatalistic' because he blamed everything on Tobys FIV.

I changed vets.

So glad Buzz is doing better. I hope you know my previous comments in the Health and Nutrition section was due to the fact that I thought that Buzz was really ill with the FeLV and it was all rather 'end stage'. I'm so glad thats not the case. This post really made my morning
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 09:02 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by melysion
I hope you know my previous comments in the Health and Nutrition section was due to the fact that I thought that Buzz was really ill with the FeLV and it was all rather 'end stage'. I'm so glad thats not the case.
Allie, I was not at all offended by your comments because I think I know where you were coming from. Indeed, if he truly was in the end stages of illness and without hope I would have let him pass peacefully. I think that people who go overboard with outrageous treatments are serving themselves much more then they are serving their poor cat.
Actually, more often then not I find that you are one of the the voices of reason around here.

Sue

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page