Keeping Toby warm in winter? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Keeping Toby warm in winter?

I dont know what its like in the USA or Canada but the price of gas (the sort you heat your homes with, not the stuff you put in the car) has risen very steeply over the last year over here and theres just been an announcement that British Gas is going to increase prices by another massive 35% (effective immediately). No doubt other energy suppliers, including mine, will follow suit shortly (they always do).

Last winter, I put on my heating for about an hour in the morning and an hour at lunchtime to keep Toby warm when I was at work. With the prices being as they are (and other costs going though the roof - food springs to mind here) I don't think I can do that for him this winter but am worried about him getting cold.

Does anyone know of blankets, cat beds etc that might keep him warm? Its complicated somewhat by the fact Toby is allergic to dustmites so all soft furnishings have to be washable at high temperatures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 09:32 AM
Cool Cat

BWAHAHA! I went window shopping on the net, I think the last one looks really neat.

http://www.joslynsfiberfarm.com/catcuddler.htm

Or: Sleep Right Thermal Self Warming Cat Bed Cushion

http://www.cheappetstore.com/Cats-Ki...Cushion-17487/

Or

http://www.petsolutions.com/default....03193&SID=NXTG

Quote:
The Thermo-Kitty Bed has a dual thermostat 4 watt heating unit buried deep within its thick, soft, orthopedic foam base. It warms the surface 10 - 15 degrees above ambient air temperature to a cat pleasing 102 degrees when in use. Measures 16” x 16” x 6” and comes in sage color.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 09:44 AM

The wool beds in the first picture are so cool! 'Cept they might get felted or shrink if you wash wool at high temperatures mightn't they?

lol, I've seen Devons wearing little cat clothing... apparently Devons feel the cold a lot more than other cats. Maybe you could knit him a little jumper, lol. I dunno how much a cat would like wearing stuff though, hehe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 12:38 PM
Premier Cat

I have been using a heating pad this summer for Mousie. She has lost a lot of body-mass and uses the pad to keep warm with the AC on. There are specific cat heating mats you can purchase that have removeable, washable covers. OR...you could remove the non-washable cover and make one that is washable. Make TWO, so you can rotate them as they wash/dry.
Overall, most cats/dogs have enough fur, body mass and internal temperature regulation to keep warm even in outdoor freezing temperatures. What is uncomfortable for us isn't very uncomfortable for many pets.
I would look into a heating mat specifically (safety) for pets. I had been considering an outdoor safe one for Pretty and Dusty, but they are now sleeping inside at night.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 03:37 PM
Premier Cat

Connect a 72 ohm resistor across 6 volts (DC or ACrms) and you'll generate one-half watt of heat. If you use a resistor rated at 5 watts, the temperature rise will be toasty warm, but safe. Place your resistor in a wool sock, and put the sock under a cat bed.
Voila! You have a safe, quick, and cheap, heated cat bed.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 04:58 PM
Cool Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to mstx
we have a heat pad we use but it only stays on for one hour at a time. The cats like to use it after a bath
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 05:01 PM
Premier Cat

What about keeping US warm Melysion! At least they have a fur coat
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 05:25 PM
Cool Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to mstx
blankets lots and lots of blankets!!! I have a really heavy (10+lbs) quilet that my mother in law made me for christmas that I always have on our couch since I get cold really easy
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 07:32 PM
Premier Cat

If I remember correctly Coaster was looking at a way to keep Mellie warm last winter. I can't remember what solution he came up with...maybe you could PM him?

I do know that I keep a thermometer in the basement all year round and it stays about 52 in the winter and the kids don't seem to mind.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zalensia
What about keeping US warm Melysion! At least they have a fur coat
Yeah I know, tell me about it. With all the price hikes I'm quite concerned about my mother this coming winter- she only has a widows pension and incapacity benefit.

Thanks for the tips everyone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page