Urgent - Please Help - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-01-2008, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Urgent - Please Help

My 4 month old kitten is having a little problem!

Last week she cat vomited twice and we put it down to the fact that she had eaten some leftover scrambled egg and it didn't agree with her stomach! We made sure she drank lots of water and planned to take her to the vet should it continue. It didn't and she was back to her normal self the following day.

Today however, we are more concerned as she has been for a poo 8 or 9 times. Her bottom looks extremely red and is very inflamed. Awful as this sounds, it almost looks to be protruding outwards.

She doesn't seem to be in any discomfort but we are obviously concerned. We have also noticed that on one occasion there was a mucus like substance on her rectum.

We're unable to do anything tonight as it's too late to call a vet but prior to the morning we wondered if anyone had any advice or could suggest anything that might help?

The poor little thing! We're so worried about her.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-01-2008, 10:17 PM
Premier Cat

You could try putting a soothing A&D ointment on her sore little bottom and taking her to the vet first thing in the morning. I would be concerned about the 'protruding' part and want to get that seen ASAP and then address the digestive problems.
Good luck!
Heidi

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-02-2008, 12:11 AM
Super Moderator

8-9 times is a lot for a small kitten, she could become dehydrated. You can use a medicine syringe or eye dropper to assist her in drinking more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-02-2008, 02:21 AM
Cool Cat

As doodlebug said, you need to make sure she is getting fluids. If she has diarrhea, it could be due to one of several reasons, including food digestion problems, infection, or worms.

Her rectum could be protruding because it is swollen from the irritation of continued diarrhea. It could also be protruding because she is straining so much to go poo. Sometimes constant straining and producing small amounts of runny poop with mucous are actually signs of constipation or an impaction that can't be forced out. The rectum can actually prolapse, and that isn't good.

Either way, she needs to be kept hydrated and she should see the vet just as soon as possible. Hope all goes well with her!

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you criticize him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

=(^.^)= Elsie
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-03-2008, 04:54 PM

Good luck !

our best wishes are there and i hope ur cat will be fine
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-03-2008, 09:07 PM
Premier Cat

When you take your kitten into the vet Monday take a fresh sample of the poo in a ziplock bag. Im betting they will want to test it for parasites. Could be giardia or coccidia.

I dont want to keep beating this drum since its already been saidit should be stressed to be very sure your kitten is getting enough liquids. Wouldnt hurt to syringe pedialyte into her. A kitten can fail very fast and die from being dehydrated.

Take a look at this info on coccidia

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?articleid=726
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page