Strays at the back patio door. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-02-2008, 01:13 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Strays at the back patio door.

My heart is still beating a mile a minute! I'm in the office at the computer, and I just heard THE most aweful sound coming from my living room! I knew it was Pesty right away just by the sound, and I ran in not sure what to expect. He sometimes makes a deep meowing sound when he brings up a hairball, but this was completely different, and very eery. I got scared because I couldn't see him, and I thought he was hurt, or laying dying somewhere needing help. All of a sudden he comes out from behing his cat tree (I couldn't see him there because he's very close to the same color of the cat tree carpet, and it's night time now, so the house is kind of dark to). He was making that sound again, and jumping up on the patio door window, all fluffed up, and trying to get at what was outside. I turned on the patio light, and a big black cat ran off the patio. I've seen this cat before..........or I'm sure it quite possibly could be another since we have so many strays around here!

The last time I saw him react like this, he sat in the middle of the living room floor, while the cat was at the patio door outside, and just growled. I chased the cat away, but that next day I found cat spray on the patio door outside. This is the most aggressive (and quite upset) that I've seen him as he's normally an extremely goofy laid back type of cat. He wouldn't let me touch him at all at first, though I just went and checked on him, and he's sitting in his cat tree just chilling now. That sound is actually still creeping me out! I'd have to say my big fear, and what I wonder is, if he is this upset about this other cat can I expect him to possibly start spraying in the house marking his territory? We have never had a problem with him doing this before, and even back at the other house we had strays coming up marking on our patio door window. Why now? Though he was much younger than he is now too. Yes, he is neutered.

I have tried to trap the strays, though I have yet to be successful so I must be doing something wrong. And setting a trap right now isn't an option anyway, we have skunk coming up around the house and barn at night, and I don't want to even think about catching a skunk in the trap! I think what I'm going to do right now to give it a try and see if it helps, is first move his cat tree away from the window, and then put up some of that stuff you can put on bathroom windows to prevent people from seeing in.

How high do you think I should put it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-02-2008, 02:38 AM
Super Moderator

I don't know about spraying or the windows, but you're right - you do NOT want to trap the skunk!

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-02-2008, 01:31 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
This sticky might help, Geri. It's always possible to trap another animal, so there are some suggestions that might help. I imagine animal control might help. I would call some of the no-kill shelters, and ask if they do TNR. Good luck.

https://www.catforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=30304

Jeanie

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 07:35 PM
Premier Cat

Geri
Ive had th most sucess with mackerel to attract them. Its very smelly. You dont have to use much and refridgerate the rest.

Be sure and cover the trap and have cardboard down on the bottom of the trap to walk in on. You can hide it in a bush near the patio covered. That way they feel safe going in.

Once they are trapped be sure and put them in a quiet dark place to wait so you can take them to the vet for S/N and shots. It helps with the spraying once they are neutered.

The males only need a day to recover and then release them. Good luck.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 08:03 PM
Super Moderator

I know that sound well....I've been woken up in the middle of the night to it. Another thing to be concerned about is Pesky developing re-directed aggression.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 01:39 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitts & Tess
Geri
Ive had th most sucess with mackerel to attract them. Its very smelly. You dont have to use much and refridgerate the rest.

Be sure and cover the trap and have cardboard down on the bottom of the trap to walk in on. You can hide it in a bush near the patio covered. That way they feel safe going in.

Once they are trapped be sure and put them in a quiet dark place to wait so you can take them to the vet for S/N and shots. It helps with the spraying once they are neutered.

The males only need a day to recover and then release them. Good luck.
Merry, I have tried all of this, with exception to the cardboard. The only thing I've been able to catch is possums! Definately not a kittie! I've covered it very well, and it actually looked like a little tunnel to walk into. I've tried it in a couple different locations as well. What I wonder, is maybe if my trap is to small? When I bought it, it was bought because we were trying to trap raccoons that were terrorizing my bird feeders. Do you think this would be large enough.........to small maybe?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 12:37 PM
Tom Cat

Yeah, we know that sound too. Coco does it most. He has his spots all over the house and sometimes he sees something out there and bam. Bolt upright from a dead sleep to go find out if he is injured. All of the tings you said.

He did start spraying afterwards in the house. He was spraying in the basement on the pool table, and upstairs on the kitchen counter. I physically caught him spraying the carport door, and saw evidence of spray on the one sliding door. They are both neutered. Both places he sprays most frequently are near windows. We have taken him to the vets to check for medical issues when he does this. Of course, clean bill of health, but nice bill for Daddy.

So when I see that he has sprayed, now I realize that he saw something outside. There are some strays in the area. This might happen monthly to bi-monthly.

About the redirected aggression............maybe. He and Wittle (brothers from same litter) have a fairly tempestuous relationship. Wittle is quick to snap and hiss. Coco will stare Wittle down.....sometimes provoking him. I just got some feliway along with our latest shipment of Frontline Plus to see if that helps.

Sorry so long.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page