Leaving Andie for 8 days - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-02-2008, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Leaving Andie for 8 days

Hi everyone. I had a feeling I was going to be having a melt down about Andie around this time. I need to post about my dilemma and get your advice. (This is a long winded post, I apologize, but I wanna give all details, lol)

Next Saturday August 9, I am leaving for a cruise and will not be back until August 17. I have never left Andie for more than 5 days... and even that was painful for me. As you all prob know, Andie has Inflammatory Bowel Disease and eats Venison and Green pea canned cat food 3 times a day in small doses. This has changed her life dramatically... she is like a new cat. Anyways, so whenever I go away it's always a huge issue to get someone to come here 3 times a day to feed her. Typically, my landlord (I live in a 2 family) downstairs just comes up and feeds her and keeps her some company and will put on the AC if it's too hot. But when I planned my trip, I did not think about the possibility that she may be away too... and sure enough, her and her family are gone the whole time I am on my cruise, so I cannot count on her to feed Andie. My best friend said she can feed her in the mornings and evenings on her way to and from work, and most likely her boyfriend can feed her in the afternoons (Andie eats at 6:00 a.m., 3:30 p.m., and 10:00 p.m. when I am home.... that works best for me b/c I am a teacher and it fits my schedule perfectly-- but if someone else feeds her they usually dont get here til 8:00 a.m., which is fine). So the good thing is that I most likely have all her meals covered ( I will confirm things up today).

But the issue it's 8 days of her being on her own basically. I live in the top floor of this house and it can get brutally hot up here... I cant leave the AC the entire time I am gone b/c my landlord would FLIP out when the bill comes (I dont pay electric), plus for my little Andie to be alone so many days I feel terrible.... she is sure to get lonely. Here is what I need your advice on: Do I just leave her here at "her" house with "her" stuff and have my best friend come in (who Andie knows VERY WELL) each day? (Anytime I am away this is where she stays) OR do I bring her to stay at my parents house in New Jersey?? -- here is the issue with my parents house....

Andie has not been there in probably 2 1/2 years or more. She used to like it, but 4 years when they got their cat, Cheetah, she HATED it. Since then if she goes she is usually confined to one bedroom. Her and Cheetah HISS and SPIT at each other and plus Cheetah has a bit of an aggressive side to her if threatened, and Andie is pretty much a wimp/diva, so she is a "wuss" when it comes down to it. We keep her in the one bedroom to keep them separate and help Andie feel more secure. Usually anytime she was there Andie would spend the ENTIRE DAY (pretty much any daylight hours) either burrowed under the covers on the bed or in the closet. She would not come out to eat or drink.... until night time.... then she would come out for a while and crunch on some food and go to the bathroom and all that. However, she has not been there since she was diagnosed with IBD and is now on a STRICT diet. Also, on top of Cheetah being there, my parents got a dog last year who Andie has never ever met... and Maggie, their dog, is a total goofball and will be very excited to discover a new cat in the house and I am sure she will sneak in the room at some point when my parents come in and out.

If I leave her here, she will most likely eat all her meals, but be lonely and possibly a little warm (my friend might be able to stay an hour or two at night and put on the AC, plus Andie sleeps on the tile floor in the bathroom if she gets really hot) and she will be all alone without any true company or anyone watching over her for 8 days. If I bring her to NJ... she may not eat all her meals, may then get backed up on her pooping (and with IBD, pooping is important-- luckily she has been diarrhea free for sooooooooooo long), plus she may spend the majority of the time in the closet. And then of course there is the issue of the 1 hour and a half car ride there (she has not been in a car since she returned home from her exploratory surgery last year...) The tradeoff to being at my mom and dad's is that my mom hangs out in that guest room all the time to read and use the computer.... and my dad is pretty much home all day when he isnt golfing.... so Andie will not really be alone.

I am so anxious over this and almost dont wanna go now... I dont know what to do with my Andie. I know I cant stop having a life b/c of her... but I guess I just didnt think about 8 days and how long that was until I realized my land lord would be gone at the same time as me....

SO what do ya think? Andie stays here at home? Or off to NJ???

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-02-2008, 11:55 AM
Premier Cat

I think Andie should stay at her own home and have a fan available during the day if the AC can't be turned on.
Enjoy your cruise and bring Andie a souvenier.
h

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-02-2008, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

of course Andie will be getting a souvenir.... and I do have three ceiling fans in my apartment that I leave on all the time for her... including the radio which I leave on for noise (heard it makes them less lonely.... who knows).. I am still nervous

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-02-2008, 02:30 PM
Premier Cat

I know you'll still be nervous and worried, but try to enjoy your trip. I'm sure your friend will take good care of her. If you are able to enjoy yourself and re-charge, it will be good for Andie, too...because she will sense the hapiness in you when you return and are glad to see her and relaxed from your trip.

Have a great time. We have cruised Royal Caribbean twice to Mexico and loved it. I think our next cruise will be out of FL, since we are so close. I also know my mother wants to do a family (her, sis and me & Hubby) cruise to Alaska.
What cruise are you going on?
h

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-02-2008, 03:41 PM
Premier Cat

What about leaving the a/c on, but set to, say, 85 degrees. That way it will keep your apartment at a livable temperature for Andie, but not run the bill up.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-02-2008, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi n Q
What cruise are you going on?
h
I am leaving outta Tampa on the Carnival Legend... to Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Belize and Honduras.... I have never been on a cruise before... kinda nervous about feeling sea sick on top of worrying about my Andie... I just feel sorry for her being here all alone, she is always happy to see me even when I am just coming home from a day at work!

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-02-2008, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunterkat
What about leaving the a/c on, but set to, say, 85 degrees. That way it will keep your apartment at a livable temperature for Andie, but not run the bill up.
My A/C is kinda old... so it doesnt have energy saver or digital options for exact temperatures... but I could maybe ask my friend to leave it on when she comes in the morning and turn it off when they return in the afternoon.... if it's a very hot day. The weird part is that a lot of times when I turn on the a/c in the living room and not in my room, she will go into my room where it's hot... weird

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-02-2008, 08:44 PM
Super Moderator

I don't think Andie should be left alone even for one moment.

Fortunately, I find myself with some free time on my hands and am available to take this incredibly inconvenient cruise off of your hands.

Problem solved.

No, no, no - don't thank me. I'm a giver. That's what I do.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-02-2008, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie73
I don't think Andie should be left alone even for one moment.

Fortunately, I find myself with some free time on my hands and am available to take this incredibly inconvenient cruise off of your hands.

Problem solved.

No, no, no - don't thank me. I'm a giver. That's what I do.
Hahahaha.. ok, if you insist, you can go on the cruise.. but that means I get to adopt all four of your cats.... deal????

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-02-2008, 09:12 PM
Super Moderator

For the duration of the cruise.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page