What's a decent dry food? **we've got a winner** - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

What's a decent dry food? **we've got a winner**

I have been feeding my girls gradually more wet food as they are accepting it (and begging for it!) now. I'm working toward a diet of 75% wet and 25% dry -- I need to keep some dry in their diet for times when I am away from home.

They have been eating Chicken Soup dry with Wellness canned, but I have read some bad things about Chicken Soup and noticed that they don't seem to enjoy it anymore. I need to find a new dry!

Pumpkin has a sensitive stomach and possibly allergies (to what, I'm not certain, but I think it may be a grain). I did feed the Natural Balance Venison and Green Pea at one time, but they really didn't like it. I thought about trying the Wellness dry, but it's really expensive and only comes in small bags at my local stores.

I have Petco, Petsmart, and Pet Supplies Plus near me. I really don't have anywhere else to shop around here, so I have to be able to get their food from one of those stores.

If any of you has a suggestion, I'd be very grateful! Any experiences to share about dry food?

Owned by Pepper and Pumpkin RIP Snickers 8/22/00 -- 11/28/06

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 12:47 PM
Cat Addict

Mine always get some variety of Purina, they have a new wellness formula or something out now that mine really go for. It's always indoor formula, vitality formula, hairball control formula, regular cat chow, Purina one, etc. I keep about 4 or 5 varieties on hand.

-steve

post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 12:50 PM
Super Moderator

Mine get Felidae, but only as a treat or bribe. My bag is almost empty, so I'm open to new suggestions also, although I think it's a pretty good dry food.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 01:02 PM
Cat

Being in the far outpost of NE Oklahoma, choice of cat food is limited.
Hey, choice of ANY stores is limited! It's WalMart or nothing.

I have recently found one grooming shop which stocks Eagle Pack dry cat food and was wondering if anyone had tried it?

Mick.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 01:08 PM
Cat Addict

Mine also get Felidae for dry food. Their regular variety has several different protein sources, but they also make a single protein source Chicken & Rice food which is probably a better option for a cat with digestive issues.

I used to feed Chicken Soup several years ago, & noticed that it caused digestive issues for the cats. It also has a lot of carbohydrates in it. Its not a food I would generally recommend except for someone who wants a better food but on a tight budget.

My cats really love EVO dry, but it is rich & high in calories, so less of this food is needed than other brands. I do not feel comfortable letting my elderly kitty eat it though (its the only dry food she will eat), due to the extremely high levels of phosphorus, and the fact that it is dry food.

I also fed Go! Natural dry for a while, which I'd say is a good food, also a bit pricey though.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 01:21 PM
Banned

Toby gets Felidae dry (the regular one - not the Chicken and Rice) but he isnt that keen on it. But then I'm not convinced he is keen on any dry. I like the ingredients though. I'd certainly recommend it.

Eagle Pack Hollistic looks good also Mike. I'm considering buying that when Toby has finished the bag of Felidae.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 03:40 PM

i give my kitten EVO .it has lots of protein and low carbs and no grains.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

I think the PSP carries Felidae...I'll have to look. Marie, why are you thinking about switching?

As for EVO, I don't see it at any stores around here. There are very few mom and pop stores...mostly large chains that don't carry it.

We've only tried Eagle Pack wet, and my cated hated it. Don't know about the dry, though...

Owned by Pepper and Pumpkin RIP Snickers 8/22/00 -- 11/28/06

post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 03:55 PM
Super Moderator

My crew has been eating Eagle Pack Duck and Oatmeal for well over a year, they really seem to like it. I'd prefer that they be on a grain free dry, but up until recently all the grain frees had fish in them, which doesn't agree with Holly. Merrick has now introduced BG (Before Grains) and it's fish free. Tried a sample bag and they loved it. I had mixed the 2 foods together and Kobi was digging around for the BG. So I'll be switching to that when the current bag of Eagle Pack is gone.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 05:58 PM

Wellness CORE or Merrick's Before Grain (BG) dry kibble. Both have no grain, high protien, low carbs. I store mine sealed tight in a big Ziploc bag in the fridge, to keep the bacteria down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page