Keeping kittehs warm in cold conditions - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Keeping kittehs warm in cold conditions

I talked to my friend last night, and he said the heating bill run $100-$200 per month in that house, IF he leaves the heat off while he's gone. The average temperature in the area is 16 degrees. How do you folks in freezing cold lands keep your kittehs warm?? Do you just heat constantly & work three jobs to pay the bill??

*Edit: Oh well, I guess comparing averages with the town I'm in already, it's only a few degrees colder over there. Stupid high desert. That's less scary then. Having never paid a utility bill before, though, I still want tips

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 11:32 AM
Super Moderator

Well, depending on the insulation etc. Serious heating requirements don't start until mid-Nov/early Dec. So that's a bit of a break. Kitty's will do fine even with the heat off during the day unless it's really bitterly cold. You can get a heated bed for about $40-50. You can also get heating elements to put in an existing bed for probably $25, but I think you'd have to order than online.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 11:48 AM
Premier Cat

Once winter hits you will want the heat on to prevent pipes from freezing.

Melysion had a very similar question and there were some great responses in this thread https://www.catforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=51803

To keep yourself warm layer, layer, layer. Cuddle Duds are great under clothes.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Thank! I'd forgotten about that thread...how silly, it really interested me when it first posted! I think that's everything I need, then. Thanks!

Rotten Roo would love the one that heats up to 102...she likes to change her heat often, she gets really really warm and then runs outside in the cold, then runs back and gets warm, then goes back in the snow...I think she'd appreciate a hot bed in a chilly house.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 01:34 PM
Premier Cat

Well, I work from home, so the temp is usually always set to a comfortable degree, and down a bit at night. At night is when it usually gets colder in here, and if we've got a good wind blowing outside, it can be colder. Our windows are terrible in this house here, so if it's windy out during the winter, we do get a bit of a draft. I always keep blankets out for them to lay and snuggle on. I like down blankets, and fleece blankets, to keep warm with.........and so do the kitties!

Best of luck!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 01:45 PM
Cool Cat

I leave some blankets heaped up on the bed. Talley loves to burrow under (seems like it would be to heavy for her) and Zoey snuggles in on top.

Mom of
Skin kids - Jason, Kevin, Allison
Canine kids - Bennett & Bailey (always in our hearts), Riley, Banker, Rogue and Boz
Feline kids - Zoey, Talley and Abra
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 01:55 PM
Cat

We have a blanket draped over the recliner in winter and the furry friends like to get under it.
The spare bed also becomes prime real estate and they get under the covers on that, particularly Wilson the big fat lummox who is a heat seeking missile.

Even though it got bitterly cold here last winter with the ice storms and such they never seemed duly concerned about it.

Mick.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page