Old cat sits down in litter tray - any solutions? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Old cat sits down in litter tray - any solutions?

Hi,
My brother has an 18 year old cat... she is fairly healthy (has had recent vet visits), but she has arthritus in her back legs.
When she uses her litter tray, she sits right down into the litter, so when she gets out, she has litter and faeces stuck to her.
She can't keep herself clean anymore, and it's so difficult for us to clean her. We've tried cutting the hair away from her anal area, but it's not easy, and doesn't really solve the problem.
Any ideas to help this situation?
We thought about shaving her around her tail/anal area... this would help to some extent, but any other ideas?
Many thanks,
Richard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 06:02 PM

wow someone else in the same boat as me!!

Whitey is also 18 with athritus. She has an anti inflamatory drug in the food which helps keep her joint a bit less stiff.

I also use a little olive oil in her food too. I bath her as often as i can. i fill the bath up just past her paw height with warm water and use a cup to get her wet, the shower frightens her.

You could always ask your vet to shave her bum so its easy to wipe away. I have done that befor too.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 06:31 PM
Cool Cat

When Maggie was into her 20s, she started peeing outside the box. Due to her arthritis, she couldn't squat any more and getting in and out of the box was a little difficult for her. I placed puppy pee pads in front of all the boxes and, bless her little heart, she peed on them from then on until I lost her at 22. You might try putting pee pads in the box, with no litter.

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you criticize him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

=(^.^)= Elsie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 07:03 PM
Cat

I also use the puppy pads for Molly Girl. Works great.

"Resolve to be tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant with the weak and wrong....because sometime in your life you will have been all of these."
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thanks for the quick replies!
Should we put the puppy pee pads outside the box first... then inside?
And what about when she does a poop? Won't we still have the same problem with her sitting in her own faeces?
Thanks for your help!
Richard
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 07:27 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarice
And what about when she does a poop? Won't we still have the same problem with her sitting in her own faeces?
Maybe not. If she is sitting in the litter, I imagine her feet are sort of 'down' in the sand and her bum is right on top of the sand between her feet. If she is on a pee pad, it may be just enough height that she isn't sitting all the way down, but up just enough for the poops to clear her bum and not stick. I still think shaving or clipping her bottom fur would be beneficial, either way.
Give it a try and see if it helps/works.
Try two litterboxes, one with sand and a pee pad in front of it and another with pee pads inside and in front of it.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 07:50 PM
Cat

I really like just flushing her poop down the toilet and throwing her diapers (puppy pads) in a diaper pail to be disposed of later.
We laugh as she is 16 and using diapers. My mom says to be very careful as when you get elderly they do sell diapers for adults. LOL

"Resolve to be tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant with the weak and wrong....because sometime in your life you will have been all of these."
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 07:52 PM
Cat

Just a thought but using the pads your sides don't have to be high to hold in the litter so you could use a baking pan or something that does'nt have high sides.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page