Cats acknowledging human names? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Cats acknowledging human names?

Coaster said something in another post, that got me wondering.

Quote:
human we call Marie
I wonder if cats have names for us, or concepts to them that mean us. Obviously, they know who we are...but how far does it go? Do they know our names? If someone says your name, does your cat link that name to you? Is there a meow to them that is your name? Other animals have names among their group, but those are the highly advanced groups...the primates, whales, etc. Hm. I wonder...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 01:32 PM
Cat

Names I imagine my cats have for me :

The doorman.
The litter tray cleaner.
The leftover carcass remover.
Mothers assistant.

Mick
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 01:43 PM

I can definitely say that Gabby has different meows for me and my husband. I have a feeling that they mean "mommy" and "daddy".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 01:45 PM
Premier Cat

My hubby can say "Where's Mommy" and the cats will look at me, so I guess they know my name.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 02:43 PM
Banned

I never use my own name at home, so there's no reason my cats would refer to me by "Tim" But that's a really interesting question. My guess is that the answer would be "no" because names need language to be expressed and cats' language is more about looks and glances, body postures, position of ears and tail, scents left on things. They don't communicate with each other that much by means of sound, and then usually just for emphasis. For example, when Mellie growls and hisses at Twinkie, it's been preceded by some pretty nasty looks. The vocalizations are just to put an exclamation point on what she's already said to him.

If cats have a name for us, it's more likely to be in a form we can't conceive: a combination of our scents and the sound of our voices I'd suppose. It would be really interesting to get inside a cat's mind and experience what that name is. It's said that cats have a secret name for themselves that no human can ever know, so I suppose they have a secret name for us, too, and that's also a name we can never know.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 05:28 PM
Cat

Not sure I care to know what Molly Girl calls me at times LOL

"Resolve to be tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant with the weak and wrong....because sometime in your life you will have been all of these."
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 06:14 PM

Yes.. cats are definitely intelligent enough to learn their humans names. Now, whether they care to acknowledge the names or not..

My dog know Chili's name, and he's nowhere near as intelligent as the cats (sorry Middie, but it's true) so I bet they could learn them easily if they don't already know.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-09-2008, 12:46 AM
Cat Addict

I have a feeling that Gracie knows who we mean when we say "Momma", "Poppa" and "Jamie" to her. For instance, Gary has a separate office downstairs that we get to by going outside to the deck and down the outdoor stairs. So if I hear the office door, and footsteps on the stairs, I often say to Gracie "That's Poppa!" and she'll tilt her head and start to purr expectantly.

And, she never comes when we call Jamie (which is a lot, since he's a teenager who never responds on the first, second or third try!...) but she will reply and come right away when we call her name!

Fran

P.S. edited for absurd change made by auto-filter!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-09-2008, 12:55 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran
and she'll Richard her head and start to purr expectantly.
Fran
You might want to change that to TILT her head

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-09-2008, 01:10 AM
Banned

Ha ha .... first time I've seen the censor bleep out a typo!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page