Kota's on her way to the vet (I'm back) - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-09-2008, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

Kota's on her way to the vet (I'm back)

My poor Kota, always the one with a medical issue. Well guess she was due for something...lol. This morning I was playing with her on the floor and when I was patting her back she cried when I got to the base of her tail. I felt it gently and it seems to be swollen there. I couldn't see anything under her fur though. So I think either she has an abcess forming or she dislocated her tail. Other than being sensitive about that area she is acting normally. I made an appointment for her at 11:15 so we shall see. Hubby is already blaming Stix, my 'diseased son' for biting her. Can you tell who his 'baby' is? lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-09-2008, 02:10 PM
Super Moderator

I hope it's something easily taken care of.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-09-2008, 02:18 PM
Premier Cat

Fingers and paws crossed for you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-09-2008, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

We're back! Stix did bite her. The vet shaved the area, gave her antibiotics and said that the abcess will probably open up within the next few days, and when that happens I just need to keep it clean so it can heal. I should expect her to get a little sluggish and lose her appetite a bit, as well as run a fever, she was already one degree over normal at the vet. This is her second abcess from a Stix bite, is there any way I can disinfect his mouth? Maybe I should get him some Orbit gum. Anyways, poor baby.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-09-2008, 02:30 PM
Super Moderator

Orbit gum!

I'm glad it was nothing more serious, although that's pretty bad. Do they fight often?

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-09-2008, 03:06 PM
Premier Cat

Glad it was nothing real serious.
Sounds like Stix might be having jealousy issues. Is there a way that you can give him some extra attention by himself? Explain to him that you love him, but you need him to be friends with Kota.

That abscess will be gross when it bursts. If you could lance it yourself, it would be better.
Get together supplies you'll need, first. Get some sterile saline solution, or some other wound cleanser; Betadine will work. Peroxide can kill delicate tissues, so avoid that. You'll need a syringe with no needle, a sharp, sterilized X-Acto knife or single-edge razor blade, and some gauze or a bunch of cotton balls.
You can make your blade sterile using rubbing alcohol or a flame.
Have a wad of gauze or cotton balls handy, and make a little cut toward the edge of the abscess. Squeeze the contents out, blotting up the mess as you do. Fill up a syringe full of saline and squirting it into the wound with one hand, have more gauze or even paper towels ready with your other hand. Do the wound flushing two or three times, and then bandage it up. Give Kota a fresh bandage every day, and watch to make sure it's healing okay. Oh, I forgot to mention treats; give her lots of treats and lovin'.
That was easy, wasn't it?
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-09-2008, 05:16 PM
Cool Cat

I'm guessing since the vet didn't lance it, it wasn't quite ready to lance yet.
Heat to the area, like a heating pad would help it come to a head, but I know my crew wouldn't permit it.

Glad you caught it early though.

Mom of
Skin kids - Jason, Kevin, Allison
Canine kids - Bennett & Bailey (always in our hearts), Riley, Banker, Rogue and Boz
Feline kids - Zoey, Talley and Abra
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-09-2008, 05:50 PM
Premier Cat

Poor Kota, I'm glad that you noticed the area and was able to get it treated early. Taz had an abscess that broke open on my hand . It did heal alot faster once it had opened up.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-09-2008, 07:42 PM
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsgirl
We're back! Stix did bite her. The vet shaved the area, gave her antibiotics and said that the abcess will probably open up within the next few days, and when that happens I just need to keep it clean so it can heal.
snipped
Glad you got her fixed up.

Does she look a little like this?...................

Tommy got bitten in the bum by a local feral when playing in the garden Jan 07. We got him to the vet right away and he was antibiotics for a while. No abcess but the shaved area made him wag his tail like a dog for a week.

Mick.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-09-2008, 07:48 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
Poor Kota. I imagine that area is very tender.

Jeanie

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page