How do you present things to your cat? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-10-2008, 02:17 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

How do you present things to your cat?

When I'm loitering around Rotten, I'll see something I know she'd like and I'll reach pick it up and carefully situate it in front of her. She sees my hand moves, looks to see what I've got, and plays with the gift for a second to appease me, then moves on. Sometimes it's a toy mouse, a broken hair tie, or any little thing cats like to nibble on.

How do you present things to your cat, and do you only present deliberately bought gifts, or anything you know your kitteh would like?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-10-2008, 02:26 AM
Super Moderator

With Cinderella, I put it on a satin pillow and have two knights in full armor present it to her.

The other kids? They grab what they want and maybe, just maybe, they let me see it.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-10-2008, 02:56 AM

I twirl it in their line of vision. If they bat at it, they can keep it. In that event, I toss it just over their heads and watch them lunge for it.
If they don't want it, they'll more than likely bat me. Which is followed by a reprimand and tour around the kitchen with an irritated cat in my arms, yowling it's protest at being carried.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-10-2008, 06:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie73
With Cinderella, I put it on a satin pillow and have two knights in full armor present it to her.

The other kids? They grab what they want and maybe, just maybe, they let me see it.
hehe

Peggy likes to see my feelings and hopes crushed, so she pretty much ignores most things.

I tossed a pingpong ball past her the other day, and she just stared at me, then started to wash her bum.

The only thing she really loves, is Da Bird. But even that gets a frosty reception sometimes.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-10-2008, 11:45 AM

[email protected] Huge & Marie!!!
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-10-2008, 11:50 AM
Premier Cat

I will pick things up and hold it in front of their faces for them to sniff. They especially love feathers from out in the yard. They know if I bend down and present my hands, it has something I think they may like the smell of and will come running as a group to sniff my hands. (like if I was pulling weeds, working with the horse or pet the neighbor's dog)
If I have something I think they may like to chase, I call them and make a few 'fake throw' motions with my hand to catch their eye and then I toss it for them. I also present my plate/bowl/glass to them if they seem interested. Usually it isn't something they would like, and I tell them so, but they were curious so I let them 'inspect' it and make up their own mind. It keeps them from circling me because it might be something they like if they are allowed to see/sniff and realize it isn't something they like.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-10-2008, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi n Q
They especially love feathers from out in the yard.
I LOVE presenting feathers I've found!!!

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-10-2008, 12:40 PM
Banned

I'm having some modest success with Mellie by having her choose which brand of cat food she wants to eat. I show her two cans and ask which one she wants and she head-butts the one she wants.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-10-2008, 02:24 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to OsnobunnieO
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrinityQuiet
Quote:
I'm a little ashamed to admit this - but the other day at work we had a goose that had been hit by a car come in. We had assumed the worst and that we would simply end its suffering. My first thought? Skylar would LOVE the feathers! I had visions of taking the long wing feathers and trying my best to make some new Da Bird type toys.

Good news was that the goose seemed fine. No broken bones, just a few abrasions on the wings and feet. We had a wild life rehab group come in and pick it up.

Very happy for the goose - but sad for my poor kitty

Jessie

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-10-2008, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by OsnobunnieO
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrinityQuiet
Quote:
I'm a little ashamed to admit this - but the other day at work we had a goose that had been hit by a car come in. We had assumed the worst and that we would simply end its suffering. My first thought? Skylar would LOVE the feathers! I had visions of taking the long wing feathers and trying my best to make some new Da Bird type toys.

Good news was that the goose seemed fine. No broken bones, just a few abrasions on the wings and feet. We had a wild life rehab group come in and pick it up.

Very happy for the goose - but sad for my poor kitty
Don't be ashamed...quite the opposite! At least the goose wouldn't have had an entirely wasted death, if necessary. You were just being practical.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page