Your cat-before and after - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-10-2008, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Your cat-before and after

We've all posted our "now and then" photos...how about descriptions? Cats change their behavior over time, and a lot of us got our cats from less-than-savory situations. Our cats tend to have positive behavioral and attitude changes over time. So, what's your before and after story?

I just fed Rotten wet food, which is what made me think of this thread. She never used to have an interest in wet food (even now, she'll only eat...maybe a 16th of a can, she's not big on rich foods), but she came squeaking at the smell, trying to nose in on the dog's food. She's a slow, picky little eater, eats a three pound bag in a month, if not a month and a half. When I first got her, she was a roly poly little cat...but you couldn't pry her away from her foodbowl. She ate frequently, and in larger amounts, always with desperation. The "every meal is her last meal" mentality. She's more independant than she used to be, which makes me sad, she used to glom all over me. Her purr has evened out. It's a quiet purr...when she first adopted us, you could hear her purr three rooms away. She still adores people just as much. She's physically standoffish, but you can see it all over her posture...the kitteh loves people. And dogs.

My dog's the same way, he eats very little these days--a ten or twelve pound bag per month--whereas he used to eat every single bowl that was in front of him til he puked, and he'd fight the other dogs away from it. Sure shows that he was starved as a pup. Rotten tried to nose in on his food, and I held my breath and waited to yell at Bodie...but no, he didn't even look at her, just edged away a little from where her nose was poking in. I'm so proud He also used to flinch and run from any objects held in the air, he'd jump and run if you put your foot near him (trained by kicking), and he couldn't understand the concept of toys. Toys made him nervous, he didn't understand what we wanted him to do with them. He loves toys now, loves foot-pettings, and sometimes just to test him I swing at him like I'm going to hit him--he doesn't flinch. Heck, I'm not sure he notices lol. His tail never stops wagging. I don't trust dogs, so I kind of test him a lot to see if his reactions & behaviors indicate any aggression. He used to be semi-aggressive. I think that's officially gone!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-10-2008, 03:18 PM
Senior Cat

Having 4 befores and 4 afters .. ill need a book ... Freeway the stray .. well there is a classic for you.

And the ferals ????? well .... no comment ... pretty much the same as Freeway

2 boxers Miki & Monty
Boy Cats: Tucker,Freeway,Tyson,Copicat,Mike
Girl Cats : Magic, Garfield, Buggie,Lexie,Spike,Ginger,Blue,Spooky,Rotten, Trouble
Strays: Charlie
2 Conures,2 African Greys,1 Black winged Jardine
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-10-2008, 04:14 PM
Premier Cat

In the fall of 2006 Malibu became very ill. She had been losing weight at a time of year I knew she should have been gaining. She was withdrawn and slightly lethargic and I had noticed her dropping food and not eating enthusiastically. She was a former fera who spent more time outside than insidel and was not very 'cuddley' so I didn't catch her weight loss quickly enough by being able to pet her regularly.

I thought she had a tooth/mouth problem and took her to the vet where a blood test revealed she had Hepatic Lipidosis (fatty liver) which happens when fat cats stop eating (for whatever reason) and their body tries to live off their fat, but their livers aren't designed to operate that way and they become jaundiced, feel nauseated and even more ill and refuse to eat.
The only thing that will save the HL cat, is to force feed it.

So, I force fed her at home. She was very weak and didn't struggle. I fed her up to 8x/day and all that close handling to save her, DID save her AND managed to turn her into my personal snuggle-pet. Ever since then, she sleeps on my head or up against my chest/face. It is like she was never feral...quite a turn around in her personality! I like to think she knew I was helping her and that decided her about trusting me completely.

Pretty Green Eyes is another feral whom I TNRd in 2004. It took 14mo before she'd let me lightly touch her (once, before she'd skitter away) when she was eating canned food next to Dusty. More months before I could pet her and eventually lift her to my lap and finally I was able to coax her into the house for shor tperiods of time by following Dusty inside. Now she will sleep inside either all day or all night and use the litterbox like a good cat.

This morning I was petting her and she was walking back/forth and purring, then...she gave me a head-butt on my FACE!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page