Playing with a kitten is boring - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Playing with a kitten is boring

Teasing my kitties with a string or wand toy is alright for a minute or so, but it's so simple and repetitive that I get bored quickly.

Even though my two kitties play with each other a lot, they also like to play with me, and I feel guilty if I don't.

How do you motivate yourself to play with your cats for longer periods?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 12:22 PM
Premier Cat

Re: Playing with a kitten is boring

I don't have to motivate myself, I just love to play with them and laugh at their antics.
I like to use interactive toys and I've also got a few cats who like to play chase with me up/down the hallway and in/out of doorways. Granted, I only play with them for a few minutes, not enough for them to get panting tired or bored. Perhaps you can just do numerous amounts of play that only lasts for a few minutes at a time. A quick distraction for you, an enjoyable few minutes for them.
h

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 02:26 PM
Super Moderator

Wow, Dave, I thought I was the only one who felt like that. Good to know I'm not.

Sometimes when Charlee cries for me to play with her, I'll throw one of their little mice toys or whatever across the room, which sends both girls chasing after it, and with their short little attention spans, they'll usually get interested in something else.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 02:30 PM
Tom Cat

Try a laser poiner. Then you can sit and watch TV while they chase the red dot around.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 02:45 PM
Super Moderator

They're beyond the pointer. Cali knows it's the thing in my hand and jumps on it while I'm holding it. And Charlee is simply bored with it. I took it out last night to try it again since it's been a while. Same results. At bedtime, I pull out Da Bird and an imitation and play with one in each hand. A little hard to coordinate sometimes.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 02:55 PM
Premier Cat

I agree, Dave. I must admit playing with Murphy isn't my favorite thing to do. Doesn't he realize he's supposed to entertain us?

But yeah, we do it because it's important. I agree about the laser tag; it's the biggest bang for our buck in terms of keeping him running around like a lunatic, and very little work on our side.

Holly and Murphy
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 03:00 PM
Cool Cat

I'm glad I'm not the only one, too!

I mean, I find it fun at first but generally my interest wanes before theirs. The problem is my ladies frequently seem to want to observe their prey carefully before the attack and I get bored during the observation phase. They'll be these bits of cuteness interspersed with lots of watching the cats watch the toy. I start telling them, "Hurry up and do something cute already!"

The cute bits can be very entertaining, though. Especially now that I have a slippery floor...

Mine do tend to get tuckered out quickly. Of course then they want me to keep waving the thing around while they watch it (like their own little cat TV) and get annoyed when I get bored and put it away instead.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
Cat

I have a laser pointer. After they've chased it around the room a few times, they want to keep going, but I'm bored.

One of their favorite games is to lie on a chair that has a gap between the seat and the back, and try to catch my fingers or toes as I poke them through the gap or over the back. They also play with each other that way.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 04:40 PM
Senior Cat

I used to love to "arm wrestle" with my cat Ozzie. Some folks think it teaches them to be agressive to people but it didn't Ozzie. I would hold my hand like a claw and he would know that meant it was fight time! He'd pounce and start the attack, wrestling with my arm & hand. He would not bite hard or intentionally scratch me cause he knew we were just playing. He would get especially excited if I pulled my hand back inside my sleeve to do the claw! Sometimes I would push him to far (by winning!) and he would start to get mad. I could tell cause he would lay his ears back and get that evil look on his face. Then I'd have to calm him down and remind him it was just playin'. That was the most fun I had playin' with my cat. I lost Ozzie two years ago and still miss him dearly. My two girls now don't play that game so I miss the game too. Maybe I can teach them this winter. Two on one might be more than I can handle though!!

Lucille & Koko
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 05:12 PM
Cat Addict

Half the time I buy inexpensive cat toys to provide me (the human) with variety !

I have gotten to like the toys with an item on an elastic string, since I can do other things while dragging it around behind me...Also, you can leave little distracting setups for kitty to find while following you around - you know, toys or pencils teetering on the edges of tables, so that kitty is compelled to knock the stuff down and be distracted...

And of course, try also to have a few "ace in the hole" toys in the cupboard - Da Bird for example.

Fran
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page