Cat Dilemma...Solved!! - now with pics - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 02:30 PM Thread Starter

Cat Dilemma...Solved!! - now with pics

Hello Everyone,

This is my first post, just joined today, I'm desperate for advice.

To give a background real quick, I am an avid cat lover, have had them all my life, am 23 years old and live with my girlfriend in a 1 bedroom apartment. We currently have 2 cats, both male; one 8 years old and the other 3. They get along great.

Now to the story. Last night it was raining fiercely. I decided to go to bed at around 2:30am. right when i was starting to dose off i started to here this faint meowing outside. after about 20minutes of listening and wondering if i was just imagining it or perhaps it just being something else altogether, I decided to go down stairs to investigate. I stood in the doorway of our building waiting to see if i heard it again, and sure enough it was there. I started walking around our courtyard trying to close in on it and behold! I fould a small, soaked, orange tabby cat, kitten. I immediately scooped him up and brought him up to my apartment, him shaking and scared in my arms. I dried him off, put out some soft food for him and water, cut open a box with a blanket inside for him to sleep the night in. I'm almost positive he's a stray being that he was very defensive when I'd get too close, mainly growling but no hissing biting or scratching, and who in there right mind would leave a small kitten out in the rain!! I let him spend the night in the bathroom, that way the other cats wouldn't get too him (my older cat took some time to get used to my younger when we got him, so didn't want him to get upset also) This morning he was much calmer no growling or anything, but just hiding whenever getting too close. I brought him to the shelter to get looked at (rabies and all that) and they said he could be up for adoption within a few hours or something like that. I told them I had great interest in adopting him and to please not let anyone else take him before we made a decision.

My main concern if for my other cats, I don't want them to feel like they are being replaced, but i feel like i have a responsibility to this cat, and want to have the responsibility, money is not an issue for feeding and we have a hole pantry off our kitchen dedicated to 3 litter boxes for the 2 we currently have. I really have no idea what to do. To make matters worse Jess, my girlfriend, told me in the past that she always wanted to have an orange tabby cat with blue eyes, and I find this one litteraly on my doorstep!!! Is 3 cats too many for a 1 bedroom apartment? Do you think my older cat will be able to adjust to yet another companinion? Am I stupid to be even considering this? please help!!! I cant stop thinking about him! I have until tomorrow to make my desicion. Thanks for any input you may have to offer.

Zach
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 04:51 PM
Senior Cat

Re: Cat Dilemma

I find no reason why you shouldn't go get him!!! I would take it as a sign he was meant to be yours since he found you! He isn't replacing your other cats, just adding to the family!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lucille & Koko
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 05:10 PM
Super Moderator

Zach, it's wonderful that you rescued this little guy. Adult cats usually take to kittens pretty easily, but I would still follow the "cat introduction" rules. I live in a tiny 2-bedroom house, which may have less square feet than your 1-bedroom apartment. With four cats. But how much room do they take up? Not much. Right now, Cali is in the living room, Charlee is in the bathroom, and I have no idea where Cleo and Cinderella are. One of them must be under my bed (up inside the box spring). When I tell people I have four cats, I'm sure most of them picture me sitting on the sofa surrounded by four cats. It's never like that.

On the other hand, it would be terribly sad if he got out in the rain and someone who loves him is searching for him. I would look on Craigslist under "lost and found" and under "pets" to see if someone has posted about him, and put up a couple posters in and around your building. The reason he was being defensive could be that he was just scared, not necessarily a stray. Cinderella was like that with ME when she got out one time.

If no one claims him, I think your little buddy has found a great new home.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for the replies. I have already created a few signs for our building and and going to check out other animal hospitals as well to see if anythings been listed. I have experienced having a cat "snatched up" first hand (whether it was on purpose or by accident i don't know, and Jasper was sooo beautiful black long haired cat with a shining coat) and I would never want to inflict that on someone else. If he does end up being someone elses cat, at least he'll have a warm place to stay for however long. hopefully though they wouldn't mind splitting the bill for me for all his shots What are the rules for bringing a new cat into the environment? I've heard a few different things so not sure what is right or wrong.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 05:40 PM
Super Moderator

Oh, I'm so sorry about Jasper.

Here's an article on cat-to-cat introductions

http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... roductions

With kittens, it's usually quicker, but still a good idea to have some guidelines. Good luck!

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 08:33 PM
Cat Addict

Whether you end up keeping the kitten or not,

welcome to the Cat Forum and don't forget to post some pictures of your cats!

Fran
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 09:11 PM
Premier Cat

CalicoBob was a (calico) manx who showed up my property. Now, I'm not psychoti...I mean, psychic, but when I first petted her and saw that she carried milk in her teats, I thought: "two kittens". At this time, I had already taken in a pregnant cat who had 5 kittens AND then about 10 days after that cat kittened, I took in an orphaned litter of five to bottle feed and foster. Eventually, all the kittens went to the adoption center. While I had this mother cat and the kittens in my house, CalicoBob would show up every day at my shed to be fed. Just after the kittens left, CalicoBob brought her TWO (orange) kittens to me during a rain. I was in the bathroom and heard kitten cries outside the bathroom window. When I went out the front door, I found CalicoBob meowing happily at me and saw two kittens dart behind a large cat crate I had on the front porch.
I caught the kittens and brought CalicoBob inside. I worried about if there were any more kittens so I searched around the house (in the rain) with a flashlight. I also put CalicoBob back outside, figuring if there were any more kittens she would lead me to them. She only appeared anxious to get back inside to her two babies.

So. I think perhaps a mother cat was moving her kittens and this poor little one got accidentally left behind. His blue eyes won't stay, as they are probably baby-blues. I have 10 cats in my 1200 sq ft home. As long as everyone gets along, has an area to retreat to and feel safe and gets plenty of food and attention from their people, I think they do fine in multi-cat households. It is also much easier to intro a kitten than a young or adult cat to established cats. Kittens have a special "don't hurt me, you have to love me" attitude that seems to win everyone over.

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 11:09 PM
Premier Cat

Welcome to Cat Forum!
Of course, pictures are required.
Most of the time, adult cat will easily accept a kitten into their home. Take it slow, anyway, just to be certain there will be no problems.

cats leave paw-prints on your heart
It takes a cat to turn a house from a cold building into a warm home.
Cats teach us it's the simplest things that really matter
John
eternal angel Arianwen
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008, 09:23 AM Thread Starter

Wow 10 Cat?! I would love to have 10 cats, but i don't think Jess would approve too much of that took some convincing for the little fella we want to adobt, but we're going to do it!!! And not to mention i think the Super would kick me out in a heartbeat. Thats amazing that she brought her kittens to your doorstep, almost like "ok you've proven yourself, we're moving in" Thats great that you've created such a welcoming home for cats.

So today at 2pm I will be picking up the newest (and now youngest) member of our household (pictures to follow) and i can't wait!!! My only problem now, is which room should i make his own? we only have the bedroom, a large living room/dining room and then the kitchen. I'm guessin the only option i have is the kitchen because the bedroom is claimed by both my other cats, they sleep on the bed with every night and I don't want to take over their space...the only other option is building a 1/2 wall for the front hallway (would give him a nice area to run around in cause the hall is kinda long, or the bathroom, which just seems unsanitary for the kitten (granted this is where he spent the night i rescued him, but mainly so there was no way the other cats would see him.

Thank you for all your help in making this decision!

Gunter, thank you for the welcome! I will be making a post after this for my other 2 cats, with pictures of course, Tips and Albert.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008, 09:54 AM Thread Starter

Here are pictures of Charlie! These are from the night I rescued him

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page