TNR - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

TNR

Came across a rather "lovely" thread on another forum about TNR. The person who started it was all for it and was posting a story about some group raising money for a cat they had and somehow someone turned it around about how stupid TNR was. That when we catch them why don't we just euth them and save the money and time we spend on them on the adoptable animals, instead of wasting money on ferals and then letting them go to spread disease all over the place. It got me wondering, as most people I have met on the internet/real life have been for TNR even the non animal people, this was the first time I'd ever encountered someone who was against it and aboslutly hated feral cats (said it in a more less then nice way of course).

So are you for or against it and why?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 05:38 PM
Premier Cat

Re: TNR

I understand the other post-er's point, but for the most part, TNR actually keeps feral colonies HEALTHIER by spay/neuter and I'm sure the TNR staff do cull the occasional poor kitty whose medical issues are too steep to overcome. My own personal TNR program on our rural property has been very sucessful. I've had about 6 or 7 adult cats s/n (kept all but one), had probably close to 30 kittens done (fostered and adopted) and my two outdoor barn cats (former ferals) are keeping their own status quo on my property.

I am for TNR. I would prefer to TNR and keep the colony healthy and prevent it from reproducing. If enough are done, eventually we can reduce the number of feral cats. Then we can start on the people who won't s/n their own pets.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 05:42 PM

Completely for it. Other than the fact that I can't stand to see any healthy animal pts, if the cat is returned, s/he keeps the territory but can't add to the population. If s/he is just removed, another feral will come in and add however many kittens to the unwanted population of strays. The area I lived in started a tnr program last summer and this year the number of feral kittens was much lower than it had been. Tnr is great!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 09:06 PM
Premier Cat

I am completely for TNR, and admire anyone who helps with it.
Mostly because I value the lives of these innocent creatures, who just happen to find themselves in an unfavorable environment. They deserve to have a better quality of life.
I am all for anything that makes ferals' lives easier.

cats leave paw-prints on your heart
It takes a cat to turn a house from a cold building into a warm home.
Cats teach us it's the simplest things that really matter
John
eternal angel Arianwen
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008, 08:05 AM
Cool Cat

I am very much for it. I have also read that by euthanizing the cats you leave prime breeding areas for new groups, if you return them they keep others out of their territory, this prevents the roaming lone cats from finding the space and resources to form a new feral colony (or at least that is my understanding of it).
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-03-2008, 01:02 AM
Premier Cat

Yall might find this interesting. Im obviously with a TNR group and for it! In two years we have s/n & shots 500 cats. Of the 500 cats: 42% were abandoned cats which were fostered and rehomed, 46% were s/n and returned to their managed colonies/ 11% were relocated to barn programs. 1% we had to euthanize.

what is exciting is TNR is a grassroots movement starting to take hold and make an impact. Of the 7 million estimated feral cats in this country we are slowly but surely making progress. Think if there were 100 Heidis in each community. Wed have this conquered in no time. Hats off to you Heidi and all who are out there in the trenches making this happen!!

Plus with those coming from the other end of promoting s/n pets and trying to get legislation thru to ensure this we could have a no kill nation in our life time!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page