HELP! The cat or the couch - one must go. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

HELP! The cat or the couch - one must go.

Hi
My wife and I bought a used couch that we love, but our cat is not too fond of it. He pees on it any chance he gets. Is there any hope?
The couch came with an odor, and I think that may be his problem with it. If we were to get it professionally cleaned, would that help? Or would he just resume urinating on it? Has anyone encountered a problem like this before?

Thank you for your help in advance!

Jack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 06:59 PM
Super Moderator

Re: HELP! The cat or the couch - one must go.

Hmmm, not sure why you bought a couch that had a odor to it....when I think "odor", I think "bad" odor, not "good". Amway, yeah, if there are previous pet odors on it such as pee, your cat is probably trying to mark it's territory. Not sure how much professional cleaning would do for it. How long have you had your cat? Does he/she pee anywhere else other than the couch? My advice would be to get rid of the couch.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 07:50 PM
Cat Addict

....Whereas I am sure if you visited the Couch Forum, they'd say the cat has to go!

Seriously, though, Heather is right, it will be hard to completely clean that couch. What is it made of - fabric? What is it stuffed with? You might be able to clean it by taking the covers off of the cushions and laundering them, and putting the foam or insides out in the sun, then treating with an enzyme based cleaner. Maybe you will have to change out the foam or whatever is inside the cushions...

Fran
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 10:36 PM
Premier Cat

Pitch the couch, keep the cat. Better still, trade the couch for a cat tree!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 10:39 PM
Cat

I agree, sounds like it's the couch causing the cat to do this, on the previous odor. I think it should go. If the cat didn't pee anywhere before and recently started, that's your problem.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 11:11 PM

Uh oh... I've been planning on getting a used couch, now I don't know if I should!

lol, Fran, you're funny! It does sound like the couch needs getting rid of, sadly!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 11:26 PM

I find it sad that you say that you 'love' the couch, but say nothing about the cat.... Cat would win at my home, no question about it. The couch is an object, not capable of loving you back no matter how much you 'love' it.... OK, getting off of my soapbox now.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008, 07:56 AM
Cool Cat

I didn't interpret it that way, it seemed to me that he was just trying to express the lengths to which they might go to save the couch, but I really didn't get the sense that getting rid of the cat was anything more than an attempt at humor in a somewhat stressful situation. (Though, like Fran I am quite glad he came to a cat lovers forum instead of a couch lovers forum!!)

As suggested, there are some things you could try, but getting a new couch honestly might be the better option.

If you want to try, getting the couch professionally cleaned probably won't do much, what it needs is a TOTAL cleaning in an enzymatic cleaner designed to get rid of pet urine. The only one I've had a chance to use is Nature's Miracle, and I got the "Just for Cats" variety.

It works great, but the problem is you REALLY have to soak any affected areas, in that the area soaked by the cleaner has to be larger (in this case, deeper) than the urine itself. It does sound like a lot of work to me, I guess you'll have to decide if the couch is work that amount of work.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008, 08:05 AM
Premier Cat

We had the same problem with Rookie (RIP). She decided it would be fun to pee on soft surfaces all over the house, one of which was the couch several times. And that couch was only in a no-pet home before we adopted her, so there was no reason to think it was anything other than the fun of doing it.

I practically soaked the cushions in Nature's Miracle and other cleaners, put the covers through the wash, you name it, and nothing worked. I'm sorry to say it, but I really think there's nothing to be done to truly rid the couch of the smell. Instead I bought a used love seat off of Craig's List, and even though that woman had a dog in her home, Rookie didn't pee on the "new" couch after we brought it home. I have a feeling that's your best option -- buy another used one.

Holly and Murphy
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by October
Instead I bought a used love seat off of Craig's List, and even though that woman had a dog in her home, Rookie didn't pee on the "new" couch after we brought it home.
Phew, as a potential new-used-couch-owner-to-be, I'm relieved to hear that!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page