Hydrating the cats - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008, 07:39 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Hydrating the cats

Because it is so important that the cats have enough water and stay hydrated I am a bit of a fanatic about thier water. Whenever they are fed I carefully wash out their bowl. It is ceramic and says "good kitty" on the bottom. Our house has a water filtering system and I fill the bowl with wonderful clean filtered water. Then I put in a few ice cubes, also made from this filtered water. The water bowl often gets changed and re-iced in the middle of the day in addition to the morning and evening changes.
This morning I was making my instant oat meal for breakfast. I filled the bottom of a 2C.glass measuring cup to the 1/2 C. mark. I set it on the counter and went to the refrigerator to get the milk to add to it and when I turned around Charlie had his face shoved all the way to the bottom of the measuring cup and was drinking my oatmeal water!!! At least he's drinking! And he sure looked funny with his big head shoved in that little measuring cup!

Sue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008, 08:12 AM
Premier Cat

Re: Hydrating the cats

I'm a little obsessed with the drinking issue too, since Murphy won't eat anything but dry food. (I recently got him to eat wet food for the first time, only to have him throw it up like the Exorcist the same night.)

I have 3 bowls to drink from around the house that I change every day. He'll often drink from them when I put it on his favorite window perch and I sit there watching while he drinks. Whatever it takes!

Holly and Murphy
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008, 11:22 AM
Premier Cat

LOL! I just got a vision of this big cat with his head stuffed in the measuring cup! LOL, that must have been funny!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008, 11:53 AM

Since both my girlfiend and I work full time, we actually invested in one of those running water bowls, where its got a filter built in and a side storage tank on the side to hold extra water. it works out great cause since the water is always moving it stays cold. They seem to like it, especially drinking from the waterfall, but no matter what they always seem to love drinking from my glass of water too. especially funny when my glass is low and Tips will dip his paw in the water and then drink from his paw.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008, 05:50 PM
Premier Cat

Keeping them hydrated is so essential, I think we're all careful to make sure the kitties drink. I am a bit concerned about the water quality here, because the tap water often tastes downright nasty, and has made me sick a couple of times.
I can't afford bottled water or a filter, but I store gallons of water on the rare occasions the tap water does taste clean and fresh. I always make sure Arianwen has a clean water bowl and clean water.
I am happy that she has a habit of drinking a lot.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008, 06:52 PM
Cool Cat

For a while when I was in college my parents had a slow leak in the toilet in their upstairs bathroom. My dad put a bowl down to catch the water until he had time to deal with it. My parents' late cat apparently decided that the leaking toilet water was the GREATEST WATER EVER and drank from the leak-catching bowl in preference to her bowl.

When my dad finally fixed the leak, my parents started leaving second water bowl next to the toilet and Farrah drank out of it for the rest of her life.

Then there was my housemate's cat in grad school. She loved drinking from water glasses and licking condensation off of cups. I used to find the glass of water next to my bed knocked over in the evening and the bed damp where the water had spilled. I kept wondering when I had knocked the cup over without realizing it... then I found Autumn trying to drink from the cup and realized she was the culprit. Apparently the glass was too small for her to fit her muzzle in, and she kept knocking it over trying. I got a wider glass that she could drink out of without knocking over and the problem was solved... provided I remembered to get fresh water for myself every night!

I have one of the Drinkwell fountains for my ladies. I'm interested to note that, while Stormy is the one who convinced me to get it (with her fascination for running tap water), it's actually Misty who drinks directly from the stream. Stormy usually drinks from the bowl.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008, 08:09 PM

Not only is it important that we keep our furbabies hydrated, but I've also read in several holistic veterinarian authored books that we should be giving them filtered water if at all possible. Mine get theirs right from our filtered water pitcher that we keep in the refrigerator. I also invested in a Drinkwell fountain when my senior kitty developed kidney failure.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

I have a drinkwell that I purchased mostly with Tucker in mind, but he was afraid to go near it and I put it away after the first day. Now that Tucker is gone maybe I will bring it out again. Are they very difficult to clean? How often should they be cleaned to keep them fresh?

Sue

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008, 08:55 PM

I cleaned mine every week. I also would put a cup under the fountain to catch some of the unused water to replace with fresh from the filtered pitcher between cleanings.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008, 10:15 PM
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlover13
I have a drinkwell that I purchased mostly with Tucker in mind, but he was afraid to go near it and I put it away after the first day. Now that Tucker is gone maybe I will bring it out again. Are they very difficult to clean? How often should they be cleaned to keep them fresh?
Some fountains are more difficult to clean than others, but they really aren't that bad, especially if you only have one. I clean our fountains every two weeks and change the filters every time. Ideally I would clean them more often, but we have four and some of them can be time consuming. When I only had one I would fill it with filtered water, but our water is pretty good quality with four I just use tap. My favorite fountain is the Drinkwell platinum, it is the easiest to clean and the cats love it.

Katie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page