Help! Shots and tests needed for a previously stray kitten - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008, 11:16 PM Thread Starter

Help! Shots and tests needed for a previously stray kitten

Hey,
So I recently rescued an orphaned kitten (which was a true joy bottle feeding him) but after living with domesticated cats all my life, this is a new adventure for me. He's been to the vet immedietly after being found (abandoned outside with his litter ) but he was too young to get any shots at the time. I just have a few unanswered questions...

1- What tests am I going to need (being a once stray cat) and what are the average costs of these tests?
2- What are the average costs of shots and which will I need?
3- Do I need to take special measures to socialize him like domesticated kittens?
4- When he plays, he tends to bite and scratch a lot. I always replace my hand with a toy when he bites, but is this a phase he's going through or (being once a stray) will he always be rowdy even as an adult?

Answers to any of those questions would be much appreciated! I can't seem to find the info I'm looking for on any website so where else to get answers but a cat forum.
Thanks,
Rose
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008, 11:24 PM
Super Moderator

Re: Help! Shots and tests needed for a previously stray kitten

This is the shot schedule of my vet:

Upper Respiratory (FVRCPC)

8 weeks-
Begin kitten vaccines, repeat every 3-4 weeks x 3 vaccines total.

1 year-
Repeat vaccinations

2 years-
Perform titer; revaccinate if protective level is low, otherwise repeat titer every 1-2 years and repeat vaccination when need is indicated by decreasing protection.

Rabies and Feline Infectious Peritonitis (FIP)
For cats at risk only..

I don't know the cost, but I think it's pretty low. I think my twins' 1-year shots were only about $8.

Just playing with him and loving him should domesticate him. I had trouble with Cali biting and it took a couple months. If replacing your hand with a toy doesn't work, put him down and ignore him when he bites. That's what worked with Cali, even though it was awfully hard.

Sounds like you're doing great.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008, 11:42 PM Thread Starter

Thank you very much, the advice about his biting sounds good and I'll ask the vet about the shots mentioned as soon as I can get an appointment.
Also I'll try to get a picture of him on here (if I can figure out how to).
He's super cute: gray with dark gray spots and stripes on his body.
Thanks again!
Rose

(I hope this works, Dylan is in front and Bobby is in back)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008, 11:45 PM
Super Moderator

Oh, my! How adorable!!!!

Vets have very different views on shots, both of mine feel the less, the better. My cats are inside cats, so they don't need the same shots an outside cat might get.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-03-2008, 12:19 AM
Premier Cat

Bobby and Dylan are sooo cute! It sounds like you're doing really well.
Marie has great advice.
Like Marie said, if your kitten plays too rough, just fold your arms and ignore him for a few minutes. He'll soon learn that the fun stops when he's too rough. Be patient with the little baby.
He might need you to wipe his bottom with a warm washcloth to help him go to the bathroom. Very young kittens are stimulated to go potty when their mother-cat licks their bottom, because their instincts are not fully developed yet. You can substitute for that with a warm washcloth, if needed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page