Myth or truth? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-04-2008, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Myth or truth?

. cats need the companionship of their own kind
.when another cat enters the picture,the one who's lived in that home will 'show' the newcomer 'the ropes'
.a fixed male,and a fixed female get along great
.cats MUST fight,it's how they determine kittyarchy-and when a new cat comes along it upsets the order,so they have to fight again

I'm just trying to decide whether or not another cat would be appropriate. Would Percy welcome a buddy? Or would it upset him after being a single cat for so long? He's had 3 companions so far. I cat-sat a male,Andre in 2000,and from the moment he came in the door till the moment he left,they did nothing but fight. I took in a stray,Mimz in' 03,and Percy just LOVED having a little sister! Then came Samwise-now Toby,and they each stayed on their side of the room, no interaction. I want Sir Rupoffigs to be happy,and I'd love another cat!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-04-2008, 02:28 PM
Cool Cat

Re: Myth or truth?

Quote:
cats need the companionship of their own kind
I don't believe so, I think it benefits some and makes things worse for others, so it depends on the cat, but for the most part unless the cat has lived with others for their entire life and is very social and attached to other cats I don't think they NEED them.
Quote:
.when another cat enters the picture,the one who's lived in that home will 'show' the newcomer 'the ropes'
I'm not entirely sure what you mean here, could you explain further?

Quote:
.a fixed male,and a fixed female get along great
If two cats are going to get along this would be the best match, but putting these two together does not mean they will like each other, some cats don't like others. I believe I heard the hardest cats to put together are two females or two intact males. Neutered males are supposed to be pretty easy to match. Personality is important as well, a lazy cat would not be good with an overly demanding kitten as he would drive him insane. Plus an active cat would benefit from a cat to play with, not one who does not want to play so I think personality is more important than gender.
Quote:
.cats MUST fight,it's how they determine kittyarchy-and when a new cat comes along it upsets the order,so they have to fight again
No they don't have to fight, mine have never had a legit fight, they have gotten angry and bitten pretty hard (no blood though) but have never had a spitting, hissing, swatting fight. Cats (and dogs for that matter) can use a lot of other methods, without ever touching the other cat, to show who is in charge, body language is very important to cats.

You'll have to decide for yourself, how long was each of the cats with you for (and how old was your cat at the time)? Think about each cats gender, age, size (consider hair length as well, fluffy cats look larger), personality etc. and how your cat felt about them, one of those factors may have contributed to how he felt about them. I think if you want another cat then give it a try, perhaps a little female would be best for him. You could try fostering first to get a better idea of what he likes, perhaps you'll even end up fostering the kitty you keep. Remember to do a proper intro, not just toss them together, and for a while keep the newbie out of your cats "special places" like his bed. Keep them separate at night and when you are not home until they like each other.

Good luck, I hope you get a new cat!! Any petfinder kitties you have your eye on?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-04-2008, 04:04 PM
Super Moderator

You have to be the one to want the second kitty. Cinderella would love to still be the only cat. She and Cleo will never be friends, also they co-exist 99% with no problems. She's not fond of the twins now that they're grown and rule the house, but they don't fight.

Cats sleep so much of the time that I really don't believe "only cats" get lonely. And because they got along with one cat temporarily has nothing to do with the next one to come along.

But there are so many success stories, also, so you never know until you bring that second kitty home. I love reading about when it works.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-04-2008, 04:26 PM

Nico likes other cats but Kiddles doesn't like him. They coexist fine but she will still hiss and spit at him so it depends all on the cat I think. I would not have added a second cat but he is just a foster.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-05-2008, 12:31 AM
Premier Cat

I can only answer for my beloved Arianwen. I think she is happy being the only kitty in the house, and having me all to herself.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

1st to salvage my 'funny'... I want Sir Rup of Figs to be happy.

It's just that he doesn't seem satisfied with mere human companionship lately. He's got this 'down' look. He loves when I scratch behind his ears,but...he just seems lonely! What I meant by 'showing the ropes' ,is the idea that one cat will show the other the litter box,hiding places,etc,and will help the newcomer settle into the 'routine' of the house,making the adjustment easier for the cat,and human.

Anyway, I think he DOES need feline companionship... playdates maybe?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 01:17 PM
Banned

I vote for:
.myth
.myth
.myth
.myth (the way it's stated, anyway. if you took out the "must" I'd change my answer)
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 02:04 PM

We got Lilly on a Thusday, on friday we brought home a kitten(Sydney) from another home, seperate litter.
Lilly acted as if she had been there for YEARS!! And she did that with every additional cat we brought home!!
She would love to be an only pet, but they live in peace.....well for the most part!! Lilly is the Alpha cat... when it comes to them anyways.
I'm the Alpha in the house.. I agree, If YOU want another cat, get one, they'll figure things out!!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-11-2008, 04:32 PM

My 2 cats get along, however my calico gets along somertimes but likes to hiss at my kitty wen she wants to play. I Guess it all depends.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page