How many cats is too many? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-04-2008, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

How many cats is too many?

all cats need their own space somewhere but how much is enough? we have two cats at the moment a 5 yr old and a 5 month old. my gf wants to adopt another kitten but we currently live in a small apt. probably around only 900 sq ft. any advice would be helpful we dont want to bite off more than we can chew.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-04-2008, 08:45 PM
Banned

Re: How many cats is too many?

My opinion is that you're probably biting, but I'm sure many others will differ. My vet's theory is 500 sq ft per cat, and I haven't experienced anything to disprove that, but there are plenty of people with more cats in less space. However, I think your chances of success go down markedly if you don't have 500 sq ft and one separate room per cat.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-04-2008, 08:50 PM
Cat

Vertical space is a factor too. If there are lots of things to climb on, with different levels, that gives the cats more room.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-04-2008, 08:51 PM
Super Moderator

I have four cats in about 800 sq. ft. (a small 2-bedroom house). I'll be moving out soon so the cats can have my bedroom, too.

I think as long as you have room for 2 or 3 litter boxes and a couple of cat trees, cats really don't take up a lot of room. They need places to look outside and to hide from each other.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-04-2008, 09:35 PM
Premier Cat

I don't know if there is a particular space allotment, but I do think it has to do with how well the cats get along. If they get along well I think you can do more in a smaller space. If the cats don't like each other they definitely need enough room where they can have their separate space.

Another thought is if you have a lot of stuff that takes up a lot physical space in the apartment that might be a factor.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-04-2008, 10:03 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by coaster
My opinion is that you're probably biting, but I'm sure many others will differ. My vet's theory is 500 sq ft per cat, and I haven't experienced anything to disprove that, but there are plenty of people with more cats in less space. However, I think your chances of success go down markedly if you don't have 500 sq ft and one separate room per cat.
Hey that means that I have 500 sq ft that's feeling lonely....I'm one cat short! I'll be making the rounds of the shelters tomorrow!

If the two cats you have get along really, really well and you have at least 2 bedrooms, room for another litter box and lots of vertical places for them then you'll probably be OK. If not, I'd say that there is risk involved.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-04-2008, 10:32 PM
Cat Addict

In addition to space, another thing to think about is affordability. You should be confident that you will be able to financially provide decent food and vet care when you consider another cat.

Sue

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-05-2008, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

yeah when we brought the little one home the my big cat hissed around him for about a week or so now they headbutt, clean each other and sleep together all the time now. i guess we'll just have a long chat about it and sleep on it for a bit. thanks for the advice
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-05-2008, 04:38 PM
Cat

I guess I never factored in space, other then, can they get away from eachother if they want? Either on something, or under something, or in another room............I think too many cats is when you can't afford to vet/feed them.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-05-2008, 05:50 PM
Cool Cat

I think it's all about how well the cats get along. Smokey and Farrah, the cats I had growing up, didn't get along well after Farrah became an adult (Smokey would generally hiss if Farrah got too close, except at meals and on very cold nights, when they managed to peacefully share my parents' bed). I think my parents' 1700-square-foot house was just about the right size for two non-friendly cats. (We probably could have gone to three if we really wanted, but certainly no more than that.)

If Misty and Stormy got along like Smokey and Farrah did then my 780-sq-ft apartment would be way too small for them both, let alone for more.

On the other hand, given that Misty and Stormy do get along I think my apartment is plenty big enough for a third cat... provided he got along with Misty and Stormy as well as they get along with each other. I think more than three would be a stretch no matter how much they liked each other.

One thing you might want to think about it maybe waiting for a bit. 5 months old is still a kitten and adult cats sometimes get along better with kittens than with other adults. It might be worth waiting until you're sure your older cat will still like the younger as an adult before deciding to get yourself into a third cat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page