Fozzy won't stop sneezing... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-05-2008, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Fozzy won't stop sneezing...

A week ago, I started treating Fozzy with eye drops for a drippy eye. Didn't really seem to be doing much for him. The eye still waters and now he's been sneezing non-stop since Thursday night. He just starts having a sneezing fit and it's almost scary because he looks like he can't breathe...although I know he can. Then he takes his paw and vigorously rubs his eye and nose. Anyone know what this could be? If it's a cold/virus can it be treated with medicine or do we just have to wait it out?

I wish they could talk and tell us what is wrong when they are sick.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-05-2008, 09:30 PM
Premier Cat

Re: Fozzy won't stop sneezing...

Sneezing non-stop for days on end isn't good. I'd take poor Fozzy back to the vet tomorrow, if it were me.

cats leave paw-prints on your heart
It takes a cat to turn a house from a cold building into a warm home.
Cats teach us it's the simplest things that really matter
John
eternal angel Arianwen
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 11:19 AM
Premier Cat

With runny eyes and now sneezing it sounds like either an upper respiratory illness or allergies. Either way Fozzy probably needs to be seen by a vet so that you can figure out how best to make him feel better.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 02:58 PM
Premier Cat

Fozzy sounds like he has Upper Respiratory Infection. Its a virus. Not much you can do about it. It can lead into bacterial infections in their lungs etc. Keep an eye on it. A vet will listen to the rattle to where it is located to determine if its gone on to the lungs etc.

I had a vet admit hes given cats anitbiotic, which did no good, since it was a virus. But the people demanded a treatment. It just stoppped it from spreading if it was going to but didnt rid it of the virus. Antibiotics are hard on a cats system so its a toss up.

Part of the cold is the watery eyes. Dont let it go on for over two weeks. If the sneezing slows down it means its getting better.

Ive dealt with a kitten recently who came to me with a rattle sound. URI. Ive taken him to the vet twice not. It never moves out of its head. I got frustrated, gave it antibiotics and didnt change a thing. The rattle sound terrible and he was mouth breathing but never moved from the head which was hard to watch him stuggle. It eventually has disappeared but took a month and half. His immune system was compromised. I had him on matike DMG vitamins to boost his immune system during this also.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 04:16 PM
Super Moderator

I hope it's nothing too serious, Heather, you sure could use a break.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 04:29 PM
Banned

Poor Fozzy. I hope he feels better soon
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 01:16 AM
Banned

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 07:34 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Ok, well last night...he didn't sneeze near as much and overnight he didn't wake me up at all with his sneezing so maybe he is turning the corner! His eye also looked better yesterday and I didn't even notice it watering!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 11:44 AM
Premier Cat

Sounds like he is turning a corner Heather. Im sure with the stress of exploring his new home it made him suseptable. But with all the TLC he gets from you its the best medicine for a virus!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page