Dirty cat issue - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

Dirty cat issue

We have four cats, three of them are very clean, always cleaning themselves, and blah blah blah...
But Sydney, is not so clean, I dont know if she is just lazy, or just doesnt care, but she even kinda stinks!!
Just a few minutes ago she walked over to me where I was sitting on the couch. She got up in my face, and did the very at like turn, and put her butt in my face. I could help but notice her butt is not clean.... and when I say that I mean.... it is brown, from going to the litter box, and not cleaning herself!
Should I try to clean it, or just leave it alone? I've noticed it before, but it was this bad. Its not caked on an inch thick, but it is still dirty.
What should I do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 11:36 AM
Super Moderator

Re: Dirty cat issue

Is she very furry back there? It may get stuck and she can't get it off. You could get the area shaved at the vet or groomer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

Nope, she is not furry back there, she is a DSH as like my others.
Not real sure if getting her behind shaved will make any difference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 12:03 PM
Senior Cat

Is she a pudgy cat? She doesn't look it in the picture but I have no idea of thats a recent picture or an old one, plus pictures can be decieving. When Bosco was at his biggest he also had a dirty bum and smelled, but he could turn himself around to clean himself though lord love him he tried.

When did you get her? If she was taken away from her mom at an early age she might not have learned how to do that or that she had to. I'm thinking you should give her a bath to get rid of the stink, and use a washcloth to do her bum and head. From what I have seen, cats will start to groom themselves after a bath frantically. So it might get her going on the grooming thing. You could also get some pet friendly wet wipes to clean her that might get her grooming to if you wet some areas on her.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

She is a little pudgy, but I think she can still reach her 'area'. That picture is about 2 months old.
I have doggie cleaning wipes, would those work? I can see it now if I try to give her a bath.
My arm would look like I took a cheese grater to it!! We have had her since she was about 9-10 weeks old.
She is now about 16 months. This isnt a common thing, do you think she could just be too chubby to reach?
We try to play with them to get them moving, but Sydney isnt the 'typical cat'.
She doesnt want attention lavished on her, and she isnt much for the toys on strings we have.
Though she goes nuts if a fly gets in the house, she moves fast, and ALWAYS catches them, so I know she isnt too chubby
to get moving!!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 07:35 AM
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourisbest
she isnt much for the toys on strings we have.
Though she goes nuts if a fly gets in the house, she moves fast, and ALWAYS catches them, so I know she isnt too chubby
to get moving!!

da Bird will be the absolute best investment you could ever make in an interactive toy for this type of cat.

Mine go BONKERS.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

I already have this mechanical mouse thing, but the dogs end up chasing it, and the cats go away!!
what is this bird contraption, do they have a web site so I can look at it?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 01:38 PM
Cat

Some cats just "don't care". Maybe they don't like licking their butt, would you? I just try to "ignore" it. Or you can get a wet facecloth or something and wash the butt FOR the cat. I don't think there's anyway you can get the cat to clean itself. Hardly any of my cats have clean, pink butts. LOL.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 02:12 PM
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourisbest
I already have this mechanical mouse thing, but the dogs end up chasing it, and the cats go away!!
what is this bird contraption, do they have a web site so I can look at it?
http://www.thecatconnection.com/page...FQIWFQod8lGGEg

It's actually an interactive toy, so something you actually play with them. The way it is made, the cats actually think it is a bird and go nuts for it when you twirl it through the air : )
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 04:33 PM
Premier Cat

Cats go bananas for Da Bird! It makes a faint noise like a bird's wings when you twirl it through the air, They love it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page