How much food for a big kitty? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

How much food for a big kitty?

I have had my adopted 6 year old spayed female for just over a week.. who's name is Taylor.
She is overweight, she has this flappy bit under her belly which I'm assuming is excess weight? Maybe not?
Anyway how much does your average adult cat need to be fed?
She eats Purina Cat Chow which i'm sure may well be terrible but it is what her previous owner brought with her and what she has always eaten since she is under enough stress I have left her on it until such time that I feel I have researched what she should be on.
I'm wondering what I should be feeding her in Cups, 1/2 cups, 1/4 cup? lol.. she eats the bulk of her food at night (all of it).
Should she have food on tap? I'm not sure what to do with her I don't want her to get obese but I don't want her half starved either..
What would be the regular requirment... I don't trust what it says on the bag at all..

Thanks for any help you can offer...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 07:23 PM Thread Starter

Re: How much food for a big kitty?

Here is a picture, it is not very flattering of her shape at all she normally looks like a big round ball not like this but you can see her flappy bit kinda?
She may have alreaady lost a bit of weight as she didnt' eat much for the first few days but now she's started polishing of her meals as she has got more comfortable with us I'm worrying about the ammount I'm giving her..
Thanks again.. enjoy the photo op. Ok this picture is pretty funny she looks bigger than my 5 year old.. (she isn't) haha
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 09:38 PM
Cat

No idea my cats are free fed, and all "bigger", my one kitty is 20lbs......but she's pretty!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 11:34 PM
Cat Addict

Have you brought her to the vet yet for an initial check? Find out from the vet if she is overweight. If she is, then measure out her food when you feed her. Give her 1 cup. See how much is left the next time you go to feed her. If she has a lot left (say it's approximately 1/4 cup left), then next time you feed her, feed 3/4 cup.

Keep reducing the amount until there is a few kibbles left at the next feeding. Then you'll know how much she's eating. Report back, and we'll tell you what to do from there.

Switching her to a higher quality food or wet food would also be a good idea...but one thing at a time.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 11:42 PM
Cool Cat

That flappy thing on her belly (which would indicate a lot of weight lost on a human), is very common among adult fixed cats. It really has nothing to do with obesity or lost weight, it's just a flappy thing. Both of my boys have them, and one could actually stand to gain a small amount. A vet can tell you if the cat is overweight, but if you look on line (sorry, can't search now, on my cell browsing) see if you can find a body condition chart for cats. - think the purina site has one.
It will show you a "birds eye" view of the cat, and a side shot. Ideally, from the top you should be able to see a waist on your cat. You should be able to feel the ribs, but not see them. You can check your new family member against thye chart to get a better idea of where your cat "weighs in" (HA! Pardon the pun!)
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 04:54 AM Thread Starter

She has the same vet she always has had she is a bit overweight.
She is indoor and declawed so it's not like she is running around the neighbourhood so perhaps she is just normal for her genes in the condition she is kept.
Some are just maybe thinner than others.. ?
Now I know the flappy bit isn't related I feel better that she isn't sooo overweight she has that..
I think I will just keep on monitering her until I know she's not getting too too much plus she is quite talkative so i'm sure she will be the first one to let me know if she's hungry..
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 03:40 PM
Jr. Cat

The Purina brand from what I've read contains grains that are not suppose to be healthy for
cats..double check those ingredients.

One of the meatiest dry cat foods (cats need extra protein obviously)is Chicken Soup for the Cat Lovers Soul, a little more spendy but impressive when you compare
the ingredient list and the order the list is in. On the bag of CSFTCLS it also gives a close approximation of how much to serve and since
it is rich in proteins, the serving size is important. My two males Pete and Fred both gained a couple of pounds when I switched them over
to this food a few years ago which is allot for normal 10-13lb cats--they are back to almost normal weight after I read and used the bag directions as a guide. Feeding
your wonderful cat the best you can afford in the proper amounts always pays off..and btw, A few times a week some wet food (Fancy Feast-no wheat gluten).

I loved your B&W photo..it's amazing how effective BW can be, people should use this effect more often. thanks

Here's Pete:
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 04:28 PM
Super Moderator

Here's the Purina weight chart:

http://www.placervillevet.com/feline%20 ... dition.htm

Free feeding dry food, especially Purina, is a sure way to get a fat cat. I'm not sure of a proper amount of Purina, I do know they need to eat more of it, because there are a lot of useless filler ingredients. A good quality dry food (Wellness, Innova, Eagle Pack, Nature's Variety, BG etc.) would require about 3/8 to 1/2 cup per day. I agree that the bag is a poor source of info on how much to feed, they're usually hugely off.

I would encourage you to read about the benefits of a primarily high quality, wet food diet. Here are some links:

http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?action=library

http://www.catinfo.org/

Also read some of the threads in Health & Nutrition, there's more links in the Sticky at the top.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 04:54 PM
Jr. Cat

The other dry foods mentioned also offer very good balanced nutrition and remember-- the million message threads regarding Wet vs Dry go on adnosium in some forums (not here thankgoodness) with catfood Nazis challenging each other to actual fights..virtual insanity.
The *key regardless of what you feed your loving companion kittykat is "Quality"-- wet and/or dry offer some good choices and some real bad choices..read the ingredients online and compare. Feed them with the same care you do the other family members.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008, 01:24 PM
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlebug
Doodlebug, the pictures at the above link seems so incriminating for the cat lovers forum--the vast majority of the
kitty photos I see here are not the #5 but the #7--we're all guilty of fat cats me thinks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page