Advice on living with a deaf cat needed. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
X2M

Advice on living with a deaf cat needed.

Hello Everyone!

We just adopted a great little cat named Lily, who happens to be deaf. I am hoping there are a few owners of deaf cats on here that I could get some advice from. So far her transition from living at the cat rescue to living with us is going very well I think. She is bonding with all of us (husband, daughters ages 11 and 14, myself and the dog). She is very affectionate, with lots of kneading and purring.

We have learned to tap on whatever she is laying on to get her attention so we don't startle her. We will catch her eye before leaving a room so that she knows we are leaving... this has stopped her losing us during the day. In the middle of the night that is a different thing. She sleeps with us, but will get up in the middle of the night to wander and then ends up standing in the hallway crying for us. She does stop when we go find her and act happy to see us again. Is this normal? Something that will go away with her learning the layout of the house? Am I doing something wrong?

Any advice on living with a deaf cat is more than welcome.

Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF00640.JPG
Views:	2650
Size:	125.6 KB
ID:	617  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 04:19 PM
Tom Cat

Re: Advice on living with a deaf cat needed.

What a pretty cat.

I don't have any experiance in this area, but I am sure someone in this forum will be able to help.

However, my cat used to do the same thing when we first got her. And she is only deaf when it suits her. Of course we only had to call to her and she would calm down. I think as your cat gets more familiar with her new home and becomes more secure, you will see less of it.

regards,
Brian
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 04:39 PM
Premier Cat

She is so pretty! Those eyes!
I don't have any deaf cat experience to speak of, but it sounds like you're going in the right direction, building her rust and confidence.

cats leave paw-prints on your heart
It takes a cat to turn a house from a cold building into a warm home.
Cats teach us it's the simplest things that really matter
John
eternal angel Arianwen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 06:31 PM
Cool Cat

Better than belling Lily, would be something like the Loc8tor, a GPS system for valuables - and Lily would certainly qualify. I don't know how big the tags are or how big Lily is.....

She is gorgeous. Congratulations.

Mom of
Skin kids - Jason, Kevin, Allison
Canine kids - Bennett & Bailey (always in our hearts), Riley, Banker, Rogue and Boz
Feline kids - Zoey, Talley and Abra
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 10:47 PM
Senior Cat

Send a message via AIM to chaoticborders

I have a deaf cat! Tea my little gray tabby.

Just keep bonding with her and she'll get comfortable with the house and family She is lovely!

You can't even tell my Tea is deaf except when she's on my aquarium and I'm yelling "Noooooo! Drop the fish!!!! Noooo not on the floor!!!"

She does take cues from the other cats, for instance If they are all swarming to the kitchen that means food is coming and she should swarm too. If the others are all swarming at me, it mean i have something yummy and that it must be taken at all costs.

Let me know if you have any questions or something specific you're curious about
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page