What kind of litter (for kitty) - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

What kind of litter (for kitty)

Hey all,

I just got a new 10 week old calico. She's great but has the stinkiest poo known to man. Currently we are using Worlds Best Litter or something like that. While I like the product because it is healthier I feel like the odor control is minimal and it is quite expensive when compared to other brands (e.g. arm/hammer and fresh step).

Now, should I be worried about Fresh Step or Arm/Hammer litter for kittens? I hear a ton of debating back and forth. What other odor controlling ideas do you all have? Covered litter box? Anything? The biggest problem, i think, is that she does not cover her poop. It just kind of sits there and stinks it up. Actually, it was so bad the smell WOKE ME UP last night! Would Fresh Step or Arm/Hammer help the cause? Will she ever learn to cover it poo?

Any suggestions/feedback would be appreciated! I love the cat but the stink is like death.

Juno (aka Stinkster)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 03:58 PM
Super Moderator

Re: What kind of litter (for kitty)

Hi and welcome!

First things first...that's a major cutie you have!

You shouldn't use a clay based clumping litter for kittens, some of them tend to ingest it and the clumping agent can cause serious digestive issues. So I would stick with a corn, wheat or paper based litter, something digestible. I'm currently using Nature's Miracle and really like it.

As for stinky poo...this could be diet related. Feeding a high quality food like Wellness, Merrick, Eagle Pack, Innova, Nature's Variety, Natural Balance, etc. could really help with the smell. I also don't like kitten foods, for some reason I've always had kittens that had issues with them, usually diarrhea. Any of the foods I mentioned above would be fine for a kitten, even if they're not a kitten formula. Oh...and has she been dewormed? Worms can also stink things up.

As for covering the poop, she may or may not develop that 'skill' and honestly, it's not something you're going to teach her.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008, 09:23 AM
Premier Cat

I agree with Doodlebug. Once she get older you could use a perfumed type litter. They do have air fresheners you can put by the box. Covered boxes help but not much.

Some of my kittens dont cover their poo. They didnt have a mom to show them to do it. One of my adopter who adopted an adult female kitty and a little tortie kitten from me emailed and said the kitten wasnt covering the poo. The female would go in the box and cover it for her! Eventually the kitten caught on and now does cover it. Maybe you could show your cutie how!??? Just a thought, dont know if it would work!

Congrats on your new kitten.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008, 11:24 AM
Premier Cat

I don't have any wisdom on the litter issue, but let me just say WOW, is that kitten cute!! That's the cutest picture I've seen in a long, long time.

Holly and Murphy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page