What to do about this cat? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 12:39 AM Thread Starter
Ven

What to do about this cat?

About 3 years ago, a tiny little kitten came to our porch. It was the friendliest little thing we'd ever known. It hung around, took a drink from our fountain (totally animal-safe), cuddled up to people, and left. It's been back a few times since then, but over the past 2 months, it's been showing up more and more often... every couple of days. Every time it shows up, it tries to come inside. We feed it, because it looks so skinny. It's SO SO friendly, just loves us all, shows us his tummy and everything... He seems friendly aside from looking underfed. He's a good size, really has a very Siamese body and VOICE, GOD THE VOICE, he yells and yells until someone comes to say hello... he's hanging out in my kitchen with me right now. It seems we've been adopted.

Here's the thing... this cat has a collar. No tags, just a purple collar with a bell on (not a flea collar). The shape this little boy (I think it's a boy) is in, it does seem as if whoever put the collar on him is no longer caring for him, but I can't tell whether that might just be a Siamese genetic input. The other thing is, he looks EXACTLY like a cat we lost a few years ago. EXACTLY. We've comparted it to the kitten photos. BUT -- this cat came to us as a kitten too long after we lost George for this to be the same cat, WE THINK. Also, George-cat had a COMPLETELY OPPOSITE personality. Same markings, same voice, but George was antisocial, basically feral... he wouldn't let anyone touch him or pet him or pick him up... he ran from us all except my brother until he managed to get out between someone's legs and we never saw him again.

Also... we have another cat, and he does NOT like this kitty. He's a big fluffy coon-mix from the SPCA who we got with the George-cat. They told us these two were brothers but I honestly think that's BS, they were too different both in appearance and personality.

But we like this cat. We've never had TWO cats at once aside from the month or so we had George-kitten. I suspect this cat may be an offspring of our escaped kitten, who was too young to have been fixed when he escaped. So... I'd really like some advice.

Should I catch this kitty and bring him to a vet? Should I put up posters to see if I can track down an owner? Is there a way I should introduce him to our current boy-cat in order to socialize them if we plan to adopt this little boy? Or should I just keep giving him food and water whenever he comes around and let him hang around in the (closed off) kitchen or office with me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 01:49 AM
Super Moderator

Re: What to do about this cat?

If he hangs out with you, catching him shouldn't be a problem.

I think you should bring him to a vet, he might have parasites being an outdoor kitty. Get a clean bill of health, check for a microchip, (get him fixed if necessary), put up posters, etc.

Here's a good article about introductions:

http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... roductions

I think it's great that you've been looking out for him all this time.

Could we have pictures - of both cats?

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 02:13 AM Thread Starter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 02:18 AM
Super Moderator

OMGosh! Bilbo is GORGEOUS!!

And Ghostkat is soooo cute! He certainly has made himself right at home, hasn't he?

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 02:19 AM
Premier Cat

Like people, cats' personalities can change over the years. It is quite possible that the young cat you lost may have returned, all grown up now.
Many years ago, I had a gorgeous grey silver-tip DLH named Velvet, who was apparently stolen, then abandoned by the thief years later. She managed to find my mother's apartment, despite the fact that Mom had moved about a mile away from the house where Velvet was stolen. I knew it was her because of her coat, her lovely green eyes, the tip of her tail that had been broken in a mishap, and the extremely distinctive way she meowed, "Milk!", when she wanted a dish of milk. Those things identified her beyond a shadow of a doubt.
Her personality had changed, though, in that she had become somewhat withdrawn and very cautious around people, even with her family. Before she was stolen, she was a very happy, loving, snuggly lap kitty. After she returned, she was hand-shy, and liked to hide a lot. It took months for her to become a little confident and trusting again.
Poor baby, if only cats could speak fluent English. I'm sure she would have had quite a sad story to tell.

She plays at the Rainbow Bridge now.

cats leave paw-prints on your heart
It takes a cat to turn a house from a cold building into a warm home.
Cats teach us it's the simplest things that really matter
John
eternal angel Arianwen
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 08:11 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie

How nice of you to care for this little lost soul! It's possible that he is lost, and not for too long. He would have managed to get the collar off if he had be running free for a long time. At the least, it would be very raggedy. I would take care of him and advertise, call the local shelters, etc. In other words, I would do the same things you would do if you had lost your cat.

http://www.petrescue.com/library/find-pet.htm

http://www.angelfire.com/ca/unitedcats/lostcat.html

Of course, you shouldn't describe him. Let the people who call give you a description. I know it's tempting to just keep him, but I feel sure you wouldn't want his "owners" to be heartbroken. Wouldn't it be a joyous occasion for all of you to find his home? If you do the best you can, and can't find his home, work on a kitty to kitty introduction! Good luck!

Jeanie

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 09:33 PM
Premier Cat

Bilbo is to die for gorgeous, and Ghostkat is also a cutie.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 11:04 PM
Premier Cat

They are both gorgeous!
Ghostcat looks skinny, and has the air of having had a rough life.

cats leave paw-prints on your heart
It takes a cat to turn a house from a cold building into a warm home.
Cats teach us it's the simplest things that really matter
John
eternal angel Arianwen
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 12:55 AM
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to OsnobunnieO

since he has a collar, you could make some sort of temporary tag... I think they make little holders for a rolled up piece of paper you could try. Just leave a simple note for the possible owners that you wondered if he was already someone's pet and ask them to call and let you know. If after a week or so, the note looks untouched chances are whoever owns him is not paying him nearly enough attention.

IF you do decide to bring him in, THEN I would suggest putting up posters for a found cat and see if someone turns up. Chances are, if he's owned and simply wanders about... the owners won't really consider him lost and would pay no attention to a poster about a missing cat. But if they haven't seen him for a while they might take more notice.

Good luck and keep us updated! They are both quite handsome!!

Jessie

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 07:48 AM
Cat Addict

I once had a cat, Ernie, who was extremely friendly. He would greet anyone who walked past our house and most of the neighbors knew him. One day he came home with a note taped to his collar saying that Ernie would visit them every day and wondering who owned him. We eventually met the note-sender and had a good laugh about Ernies outgoing personality.

Sue

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page