I need help with cats going to bathroom... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 05:58 PM Thread Starter

I need help with cats going to bathroom...

I have 2 cats - both fixed and female.. one is 4 years old the other only 6 months.
They get along well and they use 1 litter box. This is what I am using now for their litterbox. A plain rectangle tub.. I put a plastice bag on it completely then tin foil and then I pour the litter (Johnn Cat unscented max odor control-- it's chunky).On top of the litterbox I put a cover which is a cardboard cutout of a house and they have an entrance in the front..
I change the litter totally (meanign throw everythign out but the boxes) about once a week - in between I just schoop and flush.
Here is my problem -- it starts smelling like after 2 days -- also I noticed that the bottom of the cardboard house is peed on and it stinks... thereis about 4 inches between the edge of the house and the litter box so that means one of the cats is peeing outside of the litter...

I want to know - what am I doing wrong?
What do you guys use that works? How often do you need to change the litterbox?

I don't have a lot of money but I want to know if there are any things that might help like buying a different litter box or something...

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 06:15 PM
Super Moderator

Re: I need help with cats going to bathroom...

How big is the tub and how tall? It seems like one of the cats is hanging over the edge. You may need something bigger. Is the litter a clumping type or regular clay? If it's the clay, I recommend going to the kind that clumps. With regular clay, the urine stays in the box and yeah, it stinks. If you're already using clumping litter, then try another brand or two or three until it works for you. I find that the best litter brand is very dependent on you and your cats so it's tough to recommend something.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 06:20 PM
Premier Cat

You really ought to have 2 litter boxes for two cats. Or scoop 2 to 3 times a day and change the litter more often.
The one litter box really does not have the capacity to absorb the output of two kitties if you only scoop once a day.

One of your kitties might have a Urinary Tract Infection. You should find out who is peeing outside the litter box and take her to the vet ASAP.

cats leave paw-prints on your heart
It takes a cat to turn a house from a cold building into a warm home.
Cats teach us it's the simplest things that really matter
John
eternal angel Arianwen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 10:02 AM
Banned

Why do people always scream UTI when a pee problem occurs? If you read all the post, she says she scoops once a day with 2 cats in a litter tray that doesn't sound all that big. I would say instead of frightening people, just look at the evidence. If the cat was peeing WAY outside the box, and all over the house, then you would have a point. Not this time.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 10:12 AM
Banned

Huge, people only mention UTI because its a serious problem and it can be fatal so its a condition that should never be ruled out absolutely. My mothers cat had to have three ops due to bladder problems and it killed him in the end.

Having said that, I reckon two (or three) good sized litter trays cleaned out a little more frequently should sort out this little problem (I was going to see 'wee problem' but thought perhaps not in this case ).
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 11:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by melysion
Huge, people only mention UTI because its a serious problem and it can be fatal so its a condition that should never be ruled out absolutely. My mothers cat had to have three ops due to bladder problems and it killed him in the end.
Oh don't get me wrong, I know it's a big problem and a very serious one if it happens, but it seems like whenever someone even mentions the word pee, we get all the people thinking they're vets diagnosing a UTI. It's not always the problem, and sometimes telling people to take the cat to the vet when someone on the internet has "diagnosed" the problem is not right. It's expensive, and stressful at the best of times, so doing it unnecessarily is not a good idea.

One more thing, I'm not having a go at you, John, in particular, I'm just highlighting a general thought.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 12:04 PM
Banned

I'm not sure anyone here thinks they are vets Huge.

Personally, I'd rather spend an unnecessary £30 to just ensure a certain thing can be ruled out than spend x number of days worrying about it. But then I am a natural worry wart

But, yes I do see what you are saying.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 03:58 PM
Premier Cat

I understand your point, Hugh, and it is a valid one.
But I didn't want evelinany, the OP, to find her kitty dying of kidney failure in a few weeks, and then feel like I had a chance to warn her of the possibility but didn't.
I know I'm not a vet, and wasn't "diagnosing". Just being conservative, and maybe a little over-cautious.

John
eternal angel Arianwen
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 04:53 PM
Banned

Totally understandable, I just thought it was jumping the gun a little. Hope no offence was caused.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 05:18 PM
Premier Cat

Nope. It's all good!

John
eternal angel Arianwen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page