Bah! Pee! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 09:04 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Bah! Pee!

A few weeks ago, I posted that Sebastian was peeing outside the box. No UTI, and the vet said it's stress related (after all the shuffling around this summer, who can blame him). Well we're finally in our big, new apartment and he's been doing soooooooooo much better. He has 1000+ square feet to run around in and 2 litter boxes! Whereas before the move, he was peeing in my bed every day, he's only done it twice in the new place. However, both times, he's done it RIGHT in front of me! So I know he's only doing it when he knows I know. Little rascal! Just peed in my suitcase tonight as I was unpacking some things!

The vet really suggested I get him fixed, to ease the stress and said that she doesn't see FIP as a concern, so I think we're gonna do that this month. Other than that, I know what to do to ease the stress, and I know it will take time but uggggggghhhh! I don't really need advice, I just need sympathy.

He's on a time out in the bathroom right now!

Robin and...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 09:07 AM
Premier Cat

Re: Bah! Pee!

I'm so sorry you are going through this with your little man! I know it must be extremely frustrating for you! ((((Hugs)))) to you, and little Sebastian!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 09:18 AM
Premier Cat

You have my sympathy! I guess it's time for a new suitcase.

Holly and Murphy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 09:48 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by October
You have my sympathy! I guess it's time for a new suitcase.
LOL, I guess it is! Thanks for the happy thoughts Actually, I do have one question. What's the appropriate length of time for a time out? He's been in there for about 45 minutes and I'm probably going to bed in a half an hour. Should I leave him all night? He's yowling, but there's three doors between us, so I can't hear him...

Robin and...
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 11:04 AM
Premier Cat

I think the time out is more than done . Do you have Feliway, or something similar, in China? It might help him until he settles down.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 12:17 PM
Senior Cat

Aww poor guy, and poor you. Hopefully it all comes to an end soon.

I don't see how fixing him will stop him from peeing anywhere besides the litter box I thought fixing only helped with spraying?

Why was FIP a concern?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 03:07 PM
Premier Cat

My heart goes out to you. My cat did that when he was stressed also. Is his FIP wet or dry? Have they done a base line reading of his FIP?

Funny story. My cat peed on my sister luggage. You can put things out by the curb and people come by and take items left there. I dont know if everyone remembers the commercial of the kids driving along and seeing a chair. Next shot is them driving in the car with the chair and they start smelling it. Next shot is the chair out of the car and them driving down the road. Well I put the luggage out by the curb for the garbage man to take. Some one picked it up. My sister and I laughed wondering if they got down a few blocks and dropped it off.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 04:43 PM
Premier Cat

Intact cats sometimes pee to mark territory. They also pee sometimes if they're, um, PO'd.
Sebastian doesn't like you being gone. Your suitcase is the thing that, in his mind, is the symbol for you going off and leaving him alone.
Poor little guy! What he's really saying is that he doesn't ever want you to go.

After he gets the 'snip', he'll be more tolerant, and less prone to stress.

(((HUGS)))

cats leave paw-prints on your heart
It takes a cat to turn a house from a cold building into a warm home.
Cats teach us it's the simplest things that really matter
John
eternal angel Arianwen
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac*
I don't see how fixing him will stop him from peeing anywhere besides the litter box I thought fixing only helped with spraying?

Why was FIP a concern?
Well the vet said that when she analyzed his urine sample, she didn't find any crystals, but she did find a lot of sperm. She said that male cats that can't, um, release(?) get very stressed out over it. She said that fixing him will help majorly with the stress.

He actually doesn't have FIP. He just tested positive for the coronavirus about 5-6 months ago ago. His original vet recommended not fixing him because he predicted imminent death within 6 months, which totally freaked me out. After doing a ton of research on FIP, I read that sometimes major stress like surgery can trigger the change from carrier to FIP disease. According to the new vet, Sebastian is in perfect health, and she says he's been through so much stress already, that she thinks the surgery isn't a huge risk. So hopefully, fixing him will help a bit!

Robin and...
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 06:59 PM
Senior Cat

I've always understood there is no accurate test for FIP... hence why I asked.
I've also always understood that some people believe that there is a connection between FIP and the coronavirus but there is no solid proof of it.

Did you ask for the vet to test him for the coronavirus? If you didn't I really don't see why they did so, if a cat doesn't have an signs of FIP why test for something that isn't there? It causes uneeded worry. Happy to hear you have a different vet though, some vets make me wonder how many days they missed with their knowledge or lack there of...

Think I'll go read up on FIP and the coronavirus a little bit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page