Cat Intro Question - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Cat Intro Question

We have had the cats separated for 2 weeks now. Last week I put a latch on the door to Gypsy’s (new cat) room so it could be left open a crack. The cats have been sniffing at each other through the door with very little hissing. Kit only hissed a couple of times when Gypsy jumped off the bed in her room and startled Kit.

They had there first face to face yesterday and it went really well. Kit is a bit skittish but they sniffed each other’s faces. Kit gave a little hiss/growl when Gypsy got too friendly. Gypsy backed off a bit, but she really seems like she just wants to be loved. Kit went back to our bedroom after about 5 mins, and gypsy tried to follow her, but for now our room is Kit’s safe-room so I had to stop her.

My question is: when should we let Gypsy in Kit’s safe-room while Kit is in there? Should we let Gypsy follow her in?

Thanks
Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 01:59 PM
Banned

Re: Cat Intro Question

If you haven't yet done what I call "swapping" you can do that now. Allow them each to investigate the other's space, but the other should be somewhere out of sight. All you want to accomplish is discovering where the other cat's scent is and giving an opportunity to leave their own scent there for the other cat to find when you swap back. Actually, I would have done that before the crack in the door and the face-to-face. It sounds like it's going good enough you don't have to get too carried away with the swapping. They're probably about ready for a longer face-to-face time, but I'd suggest still doing it in a neutral space and under supervision, so if it goes bad you can separate them right away. But based on what you posted, I doubt you'll have any real problem.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Thanks Tim,

I have done some scent swapping throughout the house, but we kept the master bedroom a Kit only zone, so she has a safe place to retreat to. I suppose I will let Gypsy in there, without Kit and see how that goes before I let her in the room with Kit.

Do you think I should close the door on Kit next time we do a face to face, so Kit can't retreat so easily? I don't want to push Kit, but she hardly ever leaves the bedroom as it is. She's not an overly timid cat usually, just a bit lazy.

regards,
Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 11:04 PM
Banned

No, always give them a way out. Don't force it. Let them take it at their own speed. Some cats need to go slower.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-22-2008, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Thanks for the advice Tim, The day after you gave it Kit started spending more time investigating Gypsy and this week we started giving Gypsy limited access to Kits room when Kit is in there.

Yesterday, my wife didn’t latch the door to Gypsy’s room properly when she left for work. When I got home from work both cats where sleeping about 1 and a half feet apart on our bed. I should have taken a picture but I was kind of in shock. Kit didn’t seem at all bothered by it. We let Gypsy spend the night in our room and by morning Kit was acting a little skittish, so Gypsy is back in her room for today. I guess I’ll take it day to day from here.

Thanks again,
Brian
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-22-2008, 06:47 PM
Banned

Sweet!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page