Those who have adopted older cats?? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

Those who have adopted older cats??

My sweety is 6 years old.. we have had her now what will be 3 weeks this coming Thursday..
I was wondering... when does the honeymoon period usually end? Is there one?
I keep waiting for my perfect kitty to start maybe showing some true colors but so far nothing...
I darn't actually think this is how she is going to stay.. but I'm wondering if maybe by now I can think of the way she is as her 'real' personality... or is she still settling in?
I know it's hard to generalize but I'm waiting for her to be a booger.. but so far she's more of an angel..
Because the lady said she'd been through he** keeping her the last 2 years.. (I didn't take it because of the cat herself more of the situation).. but you never know right?!?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 05:44 PM
Super Moderator

Re: Those who have adopted older cats??

When Cinderella and I rescued each other, she had been kept in a spare bathroom for about 9 months. This guy's house was full of dogs and cats, and she supposedly had litter box issues. She was almost four years old. To this day, more than two years later, she has always used the litter box and is a very mellow, calm kitty. I think your angel is here to stay.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 05:56 PM
Banned

Peggy has a few "issues" we reckon. She was VERY jumpy when she first got here, but now seems very settled after 10 months.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 06:38 PM
Cool Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to mstx

With Munchkin it ended the day I brought her home- she was totally different by herself but we still love her. Izzys honemone didnt end- she is the same and we still pamper her.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 09:43 PM
Cat Addict

Our older cats pretty much stay the same personality that they were when they were brought home. It is interesting to watch the pecking order subtly adjust and shift with each new addition. The only one whose' personality changed very much was Casper. He was afraid of us and everything else at first. He has become loving with us and more self confident.

Sue

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 10:54 PM
Premier Cat

Arianwen was about 10 months old when I adopted her. She has always been very sweet, but she was a little shy and withdrawn at first. But as time goes on, she has been getting sweeter and sweeter.

The first few months after I adopter her, I was waiting for the other shoe to drop, because she seemed too good to be true. Not so, she is that good, and just keeps getting sweeter and more loving.

So, enjoy your precious and sweet kitty. I think you'll find your relationship with your furry friend just keeps getting better.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 08:18 AM
Cool Cat

My guys were 1.5 and 3 years when we adopted them. They don't really qualify as "older", but they aren't really kittens.

We adopted them in April (of 0, and we have seen *some* change in personality, but really not enough to make us thing "wow, this is NOT the cat we brought home!".

Cats (like people) will continue to change and form their personalities in response to experiences that occur around them. Your reaction to your cats can form their personalities just as much as your reactions/responses to kids can shape theirs. If your cat feels loved, provided for, and respected, and your cat knows that you expect to be respected too, you really shouldn't see a huge change in your cat.

Unless something stressful happens, then all bets are off.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 08:42 AM
Premier Cat

I know what you mean, because I had kind of the same feeling about Murphy. We adopted him when he was almost 2. He was so incredibly sweet and affectionate, there was a feeling like this couldn't possibly be the "real" him. On the other hand, cats don't really have the capacity to be duplicitous. They're themselves all the time, whiich is one of the things I love about them. So other than going through phases about where they like to sleep, what their favorite toy is, etc., I think you're looking at the real kitty! Congrats on the adoption.

Holly and Murphy
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 10:43 AM
Senior Cat

We adopted a (oholy i forget how old she is!) either 2/4yr old. The old owner told us he was never affectionate, but she may sit beside you on a couch. She hates toys, never plays with anything.

Well, when she first came to our house she REEKED of purfume/air freshener. Like... she still smelled of it DAYS LATER. She hid under the bed for a few weeks, then started to venture out.

...AND PLAYED WITH ALL THE CAT TOYS! She loves my boyfriend, rubs up against us when she wants a pat, rubs her head on yours if you sit with it in her reach. They cuddle together daily, and while she does let us know when she's had enough, she does love the lovings! She is constantly batting at this toy or that, loves the CatDancer and any other toys that
'fly'.

So, sometimes they CAN be a completely different cat... but I would say your baby might just be happier with you, as our lady is with us. What a good mommy you are! She is one of the lucky ones.

Kelly

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 05:48 PM
Tom Cat

My wife and I adopted Kit when she was 7 years old. She was a friendly lovey cat from the beginning. The only thing I would say changed is she has become much more confident. As far as behavior, she has never caused a bit of trouble.

After 3 years, we just adopted a 5 year old cat who, while extremely friendly, seems more prone to mischief. We had to re-cat proof our house, because we got so relaxed with Kit we didn’t realize how much stuff there is for a cat to get into.

Chances are if a cat starts picking up bad habits, there is probably a human that reinforced it some way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page