He's finally here! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 10:14 PM Thread Starter

He's finally here!

I posted a few weeks ago because I was preparing to adopt a cat...and he's finally here! As promised, I will attach pictures as soon as I can figure out how to make them smaller. I originally thought I wanted an adult female cat, and I ended up with a 7-month-old kitten. Once I had the opportunity to adopt him and I actually met him, I was in love. He seems to be adjusting well. He is very playful and it seems like he has endless energy. And he is huge! At 7 months, he weighed in yesterday at 10 lbs. I couldn't get a vet appointment for another two weeks. Although I know the vet will be able to give me advice, I don't really know how much to feed him until then. I wasn't able to find out what food he was on prior to coming home, so I just started him on wellness. According to the wellness kitten food instructions he should be getting 4-5 of the 3 oz cans per day, which seems like a lot. He seemed to like it and yesterday he ate 9 oz of the kitten formula. Today he ate one 5.5 oz can of adult food, and I am going to give him another 3 oz can of kitten formula for dinner. I have been giving him as much as he wants to eat. Should I be giving him less? More? Should I stick with kitten food only, or is it okay to use the adult food for some variety? I know the vet will be able to tell me more based on his body structure, but I am just kind of guessing about how much he should get until then.

He is such a sweet cat. Everyone thinks I am crazy because I am already completely in love with him. He keeps me laughing all day by poking his nose into absolutely everything that I am doing. He is terrified of da bird.. I think he believes it is actually alive. One of his favorite activities is digging deep holes in his litter box just for the fun of it. When I watch TV he curls up on my lap and falls fast asleep. I was so excited for him to come home, and now that he's finally here I can't believe how happy he makes me. I feel so lucky that we ended up together.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 10:30 PM
Premier Cat

Re: He's finally here!

Welcome to the wonders of being owned by a cat! Is this the first cat you've ever had in your life?
He sounds like a wonderful kitten.
Welcome to Cat Forum!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 12:09 AM
Premier Cat

Congrats, and welcome! Can't wait to see pics!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 12:33 AM
Super Moderator

Congratulations! Are kitties great?

Usually, you can give kittens as much as they want. Is your kitty part Maine Coon? He's growing fast! I would try to stick with "kitten" food, I think it has some nutritional things for young cats that "adult" food doesn't, but others will hopefully chime in about that.

I can't wait for pictures! What's his name?

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 08:46 AM
Premier Cat

Congrats on the new addition! You know you're in good company of people who are ga-ga over their cats. No one here thinks you're weird. Can't wait to see pictures!

Holly and Murphy
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 10:15 AM
Premier Cat

You sound so happy to have your new friend! Congratulations to both of you.

Pictures, pictures, pictures!!

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page