In need of help with my new kitten!! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-16-2008, 09:31 AM Thread Starter

In need of help with my new kitten!!

I have adopted a beautiful male black kitten, 3 days ago. I already have a 6 and a half month old female neutered and vaccinated, she is a little ball of joy, however she seemed to be getting lonely when we were at work, which is why I decided to get her a little play mate. I know introducing kittens this way can be very difficult. And the first few days I thought it was going to be a no go on both sides. However, after much hissing and mumbling, my female has now started to accept her new brother, she has started washing him, however, I think her initial behavior freaked the new arrival out cos he now tries to bite her every time she tries liking him. And then they get into a roll about which is when we step in and separate them. Which means she is getting a little angry at him now! I have not left them completely alone together as I think it is still way too early, however they do run about and chase each others tails, but then this leads to head hitting with their paws, my female doesn't keep her claws out, but the male he always has his claws out even when he's on us which we are trying to sort out by yelping when he does it. Is there any way we can stop him biting her and clawing when she is only trying to play, and anything we can do to make this bond between the two stronger?
Thank you lots in advance for any help!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-16-2008, 09:49 AM
Super Moderator

Re: In need of help with my new kitten!!

Welcome to Cat Forum!

I think your kitties are doing fine. They need to work this out by themselves. Your older one will teach the younger one to play with claws in. There's a big difference between play fighting (which it sounds like yours are doing) and real fighting. There is hissing and swatting in play fighting. The fact that she tries to groom him says it's all going to be OK, just give it some time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-16-2008, 10:28 AM
Cool Cat

I'm going to 2nd the above post. I know it seems scary when they are so small, but it is HIGHLY unlikely that big sis and little bro will do any real harm to each other. This is how kittens learn to play, and it seems like they are actually doing really well!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-16-2008, 10:24 PM
Premier Cat

Just wanted to chime in and say it sounds like they're doing fine.

cats leave paw-prints on your heart
It takes a cat to turn a house from a cold building into a warm home.
Cats teach us it's the simplest things that really matter
John
eternal angel Arianwen
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-17-2008, 12:03 AM

My cat had 5 kittens September 19th. They all had their claws out because they were too small to recline them. Now that they are 4 weeks their nails are bigger and they retrack them and play and bite. Im not sure why he is biting, do you think that maybe he is looking for a nibble? My little guys looked like they were trying to bite the mom at first and burry their heads in her belly. He can only smell right now if he is 3 days old. Their eyes dont open until they are a week to two weeks old. Their ears are closed until this time as well.
As for your female, its ok to let her clean him, its her natural femaine instince. But if I were you I would keep an eye on them when they are together that way if something happens you can seperate them. Make sure he is warm at all times and doesnt get wet. Keep an update on how he is doing!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-17-2008, 08:16 AM
Cool Cat

I kind of disagree about separating them. They'll never sort it out if people step in and sort it out for them. I know how hard it is to *not* step in, having two rambunctious (mostly) grown boy cats myself. If it looks like they are really going to do damage, then make a loud noise to startle them, but do it while you are looking away from them. If they are just tussling to find out who will be the Big Cat On Campus, let them sort it out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page