Combining Cats (and a baby) - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-17-2008, 06:39 AM Thread Starter

Combining Cats (and a baby)

Hey all,

This weekend, at short-notice, we've got to move a sixteen-year-old moggy in with two younger cats. The older cat is mine and my parents are looking after him temporarily: however, they can no longer do this. The two younger cats belong to my partner.

Charlie (the 16yo) is still very active, and is very friendly and outgoing. He's not the dominant cat and has never been. Snowball and Wily are the two younger ones: Wily is *very* dominant. Both the boys have been neutered and Snowball has been spayed. All three cats are friendly, and all are used to other cats.

We have three litter trays, one per cat. We've managed to swap blankets and jumpers over so they can adjust to each other's smells. There is a safe place for each cat to retreat to, and ample water/food supply around the house. Snowball and Wily will stay with my partner's parents this weekend (a regular arrangement) whilst we go to collect Charlie, and we're planning to let him wander round and get used to his surroundings before we bring the other two home.

Is there anything else that anyone could suggest to make the transition a little easier?

Also, we're expecting a baby in the New Year. Any tips on combining him with the cats?

Thanks.

Incidentally, meet Charlie:

Wily:

and Snowball (Yes, she is that stubborn in front of the camera):
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-17-2008, 10:19 AM
Cool Cat

Re: Combining Cats (and a baby)

It sounds to me as you are doing all the right things. No doubt you'll get a few replies soon that will give you some extra tips, but you seem to have thought of everything.
Your cats look lovely. 3 black puss-cats, each with a very distinctive personality
I have grown to love black kitties since little Margaret came into our lives.
But that's another story.. now back to the pupose of this thread.
Any more advice for MissJones, folks?

seashell
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 10:15 AM
Tom Cat

From your topic caption, I kind of thought you were involved in some weird genetic experiments.

Seriously though, It’s a good idea to keep the cats separated behind closed doors for the first week or so. The cats will be able to sniff each other under the door and get used to the idea of another cat being around.

Look up, “cat introductions” online. The ASPCA has a pretty good article and there some other good ones around.

regards,
Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 11:41 PM
Premier Cat

Sounds like you've got a good plan, and littlebigcat.com has another informative article on introductions.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-22-2008, 03:25 AM
Cat

Just wanted to say hope it goes smooth, how weird that they are all black
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page