Lookie what I found. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-17-2008, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Lookie what I found.

Blake was outside putting the garbage out and getting all the boxes out of the garage when he heard meowing and turned around to see a cat following him up the drive to the garage. He called me out, to see him asking if I had ever seen him before (I pretty much know all of the outside cats around here by now), said I hadn't and I would have remembered as he has a stumpy tail. He was very friendly, coming right up to the door for a pet and but rub, gave him some canned food while Blake phoned his mom to see if she could come over with her microchip scanner. He is not happy with the other cats so before he could run off I picked him up and took him into the basement, gave him two kinds of food and water. He's down there now crying and scratching at the door. Blake's mom will be by in a bit to scan him. But I've never seen him before... I'm sure he's someones pet as he's so friendly and doesn't look in bad shape at all, hopefully he's not a dump job and merely ran out of the house or they are new to the area and he's an outdoor cat.

it must be stumpy tailed cat season as a person on another forum found a orange tabby stumpy tailed cat in her barn the other day, who she has decided to keep, and neuter.

Anywho here's the handsome kitty.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-17-2008, 12:25 PM
Premier Cat

Re: Lookie what I found.

He does look like a big, healthy boy. See how shiny he is?

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-17-2008, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

He's neutered but no chip...
He's deffinately not a stray or at least hasn't been for long if he is. He's a good weight and like you just said Heidi he's got a good shine to him, his coat is very soft.
He's off to the vet now to get an exam and make sure all is alright while I wonder if I should make a "found cat" poster... in a way I know a should but then I think if they let the guy out without a chip or collar why should I just so he can get lost again possibly even killed? -sigh-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-17-2008, 12:38 PM
Super Moderator

Look at how many of us have had our cats get out. He looks well-fed and healthy and beautiful. Please make posters and try to find out if he has a home and is missed.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-17-2008, 01:28 PM

I would put posters out saying found cat with a discription. Him having a stub tail will help. Just don't put your address on the poster. Otherwise you could have unwanted people come. And don't put your name on it. Otherwise some people will call and ask for you. Trust me. When I moved into a new city we had a window open just a crack. Didnt think my cat was able to get out. But she did. I put up posters with my name and number. I had many creepers call for pranks. '

I hope all goes well and you find the owners. He is adorable
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-17-2008, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Oh I know I should but theres this part of me that keeps saying "why bother, they didn't get him chipped, don't have a collar on him, what if they just let him outside again, this part of the city isn't outdoor cat friendly, people don't try to stop for anything crossing the road unless its a person and even then some don't, you see anything from a chipmunk to a dog dead on the side of the road" the main roads here suck, no one tries to avoid hitting the animals. Maybe I should wait and see if anyone puts out lost cat posters... argh.

Well who ever owns this cat its their lucky day... we're paying for it to be vaccinated, dewormed, examed and chipped.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-17-2008, 02:09 PM

I would put the posters out. Keep him indoors. I had a collar on my cat when she got out, but when she came back home her collar was missing. I wouldnt pay for anything until you have given it a chance to let someone reply to posters. Think if it were your cat. Some people dont think about putting posters out because they dont think people will reply. If you dont get a reply then yes I would do exactly what you are about to do.

Hope you make a good choice.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-17-2008, 02:36 PM
Senior Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac*
"why bother, they didn't get him chipped, don't have a collar on him..."
We don't have our cats chipped, all wear BREAKAWAY collars with ID except the eldest (I dont think he'd run away, maybe that will be the wrong decision, but he doesnt go anywhere even when doors are left open.. L-A-Z-Y!).

Does that mean I don't care? No. A few posters aren't a big deal, and the one time my cat DID get out (when he was much younger) I sobbed for DAYS. He was gone just over 3 days, and ended up just being locked in our trailer (but too scared to come out when we called for him, the door had closed with the wind). If someone had just found and kept him, figured he wasn't chipped and had no collar so I didn't really care, I would have lost the most important thing in my life.

I don't think it's fair to assume because he's not chipped (expensive for 4 cats!), and maybe even missing his collar (got snagged on a fence/other cats claw/bush?) that his owners don't care. Give them a chance.

(Also, I know how you're feeling! I am a pessimist when it comes to people, and really have a hard time believing all owners of strays care, but you always have to give them the chance. If he comes back, then I'd re-think calling them again. That's just me. I had a similar situation, with an outdoor kitten, I kept telling them to keep it inside/feed it/make sure her collar was proper (it was always too tight, she was THIN and sickly). One day, after calling animal control to talk to them (them claiming she wasn't theirs), and talking to them myself many times, almost hitting her with my car numerous time, I grabbed her up and brought her to the shelter. Done. Some people get mad that I "stole someones cat" but I don't care. I saved her life.)

Kelly

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-17-2008, 03:01 PM
Premier Cat

Maybe you could say on the poster that he has a distinctive feature, and let the caller tell you what it is?

All I know is, he's a lucky boy to have found you, even if it means he's going back to an owner. Don't cats have a hard time making it through the winter in as cold a climate as yours?

Holly and Murphy
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-17-2008, 04:06 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac*
..."why bother, they didn't get him chipped, don't have a collar on him, what if they just let him outside again...
Ah, but you don't know if they let him out or if he escaped.
I have 10 cats, all rescued from one deathly situation or another. None are chipped or wear a collar. The three who are allowed outside came to us as feral adults who just 'moved onto' our rural property and we took care of them and tamed them into housecats. If any of my cats got out, there are not enough neighbors to beat the odds that our loose cats would find someone who would take them in, either into their homes or to be checked by vet or animal control for being lost/chipped. Also, if any of my indoor cats were out, the entire rural neighborhood would know I was looking for my cat.

My lost cat story:
In 2001 when we moved to GA, Mister escaped from our RV with his brother Toby. We found Toby that night but didn't find Mister for 29 days. Almost an entire month. We were living in our RV in an RV/mobile home park for 4mo until our house closed. We had been at the RV park for 10 days when Mister came up missing. The RV park was rural, approx 4mi out of town. I made up fliers, posted them, knocked on doors and handed them to owners/renters. Described my cat to the local children and drove around the 'block' in a 1mi radius visiting the homes within that area to hand out fliers of my missing cat. In addition, I dropped off fliers at the two vet offices in town, animal control and took out an ad in the newspaper.
No one saw my cat or contacted me if they did.
I found him by accident on day 29 (when I was certain he was surely dead) coming home with groceries.
I was less than 300yds from where he had been originally lost. 29 days in a neighborhood of about 25 homes and 40 RVs during a mild (temperature-wise) spring and no one saw him. I don't think a collar or a chip would have done me any good in that situation, and I still see no need for collars or chips. Perhaps if I moved to a city...but not while I live rurally.
Heidi

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page