missing cat comes home - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-19-2008, 11:38 PM Thread Starter

missing cat comes home

I need a little help here. My daughter's cat has been missing since the beginning of June. He just came home tonight, it has been a total of 5 months. When I went outside tonight and he came running up to me, he was acting like he was so happy to be home. I let him in the house and he went into the kitchen and I fed him. Then he went into the corner and and curled up into a ball and won't let me near him. He's hissing and growling at me. He looks like he got an eye infection outside, one of his eyes are completely sealed shut. I have him shut in a room by himself, to keep him away from our other animals. This is completely different than he was before he ran away. I don't think he had ever hissed and growled before this. Could it be the shock of coming home? And if anyone has been through this before, do they snap out of it? I'm a little concerned that I'm now afraid of what used to be our favorite cat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-19-2008, 11:40 PM
Super Moderator

Re: missing cat comes home

Sounds like he needs to see a vet first thing in the morning. That visit will answer a lot of questions. He's probably happy to be home and scared at the same time. I would keep him away from your other cats until the vet visit.

I'm happy that you have him back.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-19-2008, 11:48 PM Thread Starter

I do plan on calling the vets first thing in the morning. I just have no idea how I'm going to get him there! I actually used towels to pick him up and take him into the room he's in. He didn't attack or anything, just growled. When we were outside, I sat on the porch and he was loving all over me. I really wasn't expecting this reaction to being back in the house. He was strictly an inside cat before he went missing, so I'm sure his time outside wasn't very pleasant.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-20-2008, 12:14 AM
Premier Cat

Don't worry, his happy memories of you will come back. Give him some time. But he does need that vet visit.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-20-2008, 12:16 AM
Premier Cat

I think he is growling because everything smells different. He's been outside a long time and the inside smells are very different and even may have changed from what he remembers from 5mo ago. I'm sure he'll settle down and get back into the routine of things in a few days, though you are going to have to 'traumatize' him a bit with a vet visit for his eye. Do you have a cat carrier? That would be the safest way to transport him in the car so he can't panic in the car and hurt you while you are driving AND possibly get out when you open your car door at the vet's office.
Let us know what the vet says about his eye.
Heidi

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-20-2008, 09:14 AM Thread Starter

Happy news! After I fed him this morning, he practically jumped in my arms. He's purring and very happy! He's loving all over me. I'll post after we go to the vets today. I'm feeling much better this morning now that he's not growling and hissing at me.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-20-2008, 10:50 AM
Cat Addict

Wouldn't it be great if they could talk! Five months is a long time. I'm glad he is happier this morning. Good luck at the vets.

Sue

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-20-2008, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

We are home from the vets. He has an eye infection similar to pink eye and a respiratory infection, so we have eye ointment and an antiobiotic. She checked his eye and she said there are no scratches on his cornea. She says his eye will be just fine after this infection clears up. And he was pretty calm at the vets too, he let her poke and dig in his eye quite a bit. We have to keep him confined for atleast a week. She said that it was probably a big shock to him to finally make it home and then to find a new kitten here, hence all of the growling and hissing. I would love to know where he's been! I called the humane society to let them know that he finally came home (we've had a lost cat post there) so they are so happy to be able to take 1 of them off with a happy ending.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-20-2008, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

The site posted twice so I deleted 1
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-20-2008, 12:29 PM
Senior Cat

Yeah, I'm sure the changes were a shock to him and he probably didn't feel that great with the infections. Its just wonderful that he came back after all this time! What a wonderful surprise!! He's a lucky boy!

Lucille & Koko
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page