This is the 1st time I have ever been cross with my vet - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

This is the 1st time I have ever been cross with my vet

So, as I have posted in the health forum, poor Toby has had a UTI and kidney infection for a couple of weeks now. He has had a series of antibiotic and anti inflammatory injections and a series of tablet medication but it still hasn't cleared up. Unlike pyscho Willow (his Mum) he is an extremely timid boy and really only likes to be around me and my parents and best friends.

I took him to the vets this evening to talk about the next steps and they wanted to do some blood work. There was no vetinary nurse, just a young girl volunteer helping the vet who was completely incapable of holding any cat, let alone a large, frightened, struggling one like Toby. The vet turned on the razor to shave a portion of his leg, Toby went nuts so she then tried to use a pair of scissors and cut him with them when he struggled. I told her to just stop as he was getting distressed and we weren't getting anywhere at which point she told me to take him home and bring him back tomorrow morning when the nurse was in and he could be held properly. She then had the **** cheek to try and charge me an appointment fee. I am so cross. I have been using this vet for years as have my parents and I have never had a problem before but **** will freeze over before I either pay for that appointment or I have another appointment there when there is no proper nursing care. Surely it''s mandatory to have a nurse as well as a vet?

Poor Toby is really distressed now - I have given him some Tuna and a good stroke with well feliwayed hands but he is completely spooked.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008, 02:08 PM
Banned

Re: This is the 1st time I have ever been cross with my vet

Awww. Poor Tobe. Darn it, I would be mad too. The cheek of it!!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008, 02:44 PM
Premier Cat

Poor Toby! Such arrogance, to want to charge you when they were not only too incompetent to provide any service, but they injured and terrorized poor Toby!
I hope Toby feels better soon and gets over his fright. (((HUGS)))
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008, 03:22 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie

Poor Toby! I would leave that vet also. if you decide to pay him, let him know that you will not take your animals to his clinic again. You are literally paying for that girl's lack of experience or qualifications. That's not fair at all.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008, 04:31 PM

poor baby!!!

I hope you don't pay for that visit! well out of order for her to ask you too!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008, 05:06 PM
Premier Cat

Take him to the vet tomorrow. If they try to charge you for an office visit, tell the receptionist: "No thank you, I already paid yesterday. They were unable to do what needed to be done and asked me to come in this morning when they would have proper staff to complete the task."

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. Toby is much calmer now, he's had something to eat and has been resting quietly for the last little while. I will take him back tomorrow becuase the most important thing is that we deal with this infection but as soon as that is done I intend to go down there are have a chat with the people in charge. This is really out of character for this practice but that doesn't make it any way acceptable. If they are not prepared to talk to me seriously about this then they lose my business (2 cats) and my parents (8 cats). If reason doesn't work perhaps being hit in the pocket will.

Toby was injured in the process and severely distressed and the issue about the money pales into insignificance when compared to that. I wonder if he realises why he has quite as many cuddles from me this evening as he has, special boy.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008, 11:32 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SesameStGang
... CARING COMPASSIONATE staff...
Those are three golden, key words.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008, 11:43 PM

Ohh, poor Toby. I'm glad he's settled a bit. I would be cross too if my cat got injured at a vet visit!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-24-2008, 08:22 PM

My vet, who I just LOVED, sold her practice so that she could be a full time mom for a couple of years. Anyway a bunch of the staff left the clinic due to differences with the new vet/owner. I guess the vet was without a vet tech for a while, so she had her husband (who is an accountant) assist her with surgeries!!!!! You have got to be kidding me?!?!?! Needless to say, I followed one of the other vets that was a part of the original staff to a different clinic. The only unfortunate thing is that she now resides 30 miles away, but I'm happy to travel if it ensures good care for my pets. I wouldn't pay the bill either if I were you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page