Could be getting into legal issues here... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-24-2008, 06:19 PM Thread Starter

Could be getting into legal issues here...

I'm nineteen years old, and unfortunately I do not have a job as of this moment, so I don't have any way to provide for myself or my animals... which, I know, sounds really bad. But I'm staying with my father while I do my vet tech classes, and he is currently taking care of the animal issues as of now.

Well, last year a little stray tabby kitten showed up at our door on my birthday, and my mother (this was when I was still living with her) didn't want to keep her. She was adamant about the fact that we weren't going to keep the cat, but I kept at it and obviously she became part of the family... she was my cat. My mother had even said so... outrightly... that she was my cat. Now that I'm staying at my dad's I try to get every possible reason to go see my cat, because she's a big part of me... I'm crying now just thinking about it. Well, my mother -who didn't want the cat to begin with- is now telling me that I'm not allowed to have her basically because she's being bull-headed. Honestly, there's no other reason for her action. (I'm not going to go into all the details of our family, but to suffice it to say it's a big mess.) And now she's telling me that I can't even come over to see her... and that just breaks me up inside, because if it wasn't for me, Meeko wouldn't even be around.

I probably don't have a single legal leg to stand on, but is there anything that I can do... anything at all, because I'm desperate... to get my cat back? If I have to, I'll offer to take her to the vets and when I've got my job figured out I'll pay for her myself... that way at least I can prove that I have payed for her. Does anyone have any advice?

This is nothing more than morals, but in a legal setting I'm probably nothing more than dirt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-24-2008, 09:16 PM
Premier Cat

Re: Could be getting into legal issues here...

It sounds like your mother is angry about you moving into your father's house, and is using Meeko to get back at you.
I wish I had some legal advice for you. Most states have free legal clinics, though, usually associated with universities. You could try consulting one of those.

cats leave paw-prints on your heart
It takes a cat to turn a house from a cold building into a warm home.
Cats teach us it's the simplest things that really matter
John
eternal angel Arianwen
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-24-2008, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

It's actually more of the other way around... she is the one that practically made me move over to my dad's because we never get along, and now because of the trouble we're having she's withholding Meeko from me... either that or she's threatening to. In any case it's not a good situation. Alright, thanks for the suggestion... if nothing clears up then I'll have to look into that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-01-2008, 12:28 PM

What I'd do would be illegal, but if it IS your cat, and you want it. Then break the rules, if they have no proof, they can't get you for it. But first try to talk to her, try to see if she'll let you get it, and if she's determined to not let you have it, then take it. I probably should tell you to do something stupid, that could get you into trouble. But I'm a believer of following what you believe in. If someone came and took anything important to me, like my cat or dog. Well then I'd go take it back, if they said they wouldn't give it back. But the smart thing for now, is first find out if she'd give it back, if you had a talk. However don't hint at that if she won't give it to you, you're gonna take it. Just tell her fine keep that cat, and that it's messed up. If anyone feels I'm wrong, and my advice is stupid. Say so, and give some better advice. However if you are gonna take the cat, be smart about it, and leave no evidence and have no evidence or proof to be found. Might be smarter to just talk to her.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-01-2008, 03:09 PM

Unfortunately, I think you're mom has the upper hand in this situation. The cat is in HER house, under HER care and you don't even have a job or anyway to prove that she is really YOURS. I'm not trying to be mean, just being honest. I think she would win in a legal case.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page