advice sought - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-25-2008, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

advice sought

Hello, anyone with applicable experience with this topic please advise me if you can!! My wife and I just obtained two orange tabbies from the pound about three months ago. We are lifetime cat owners in our forties. I have installed a cat door for them to have their freedom to roam. Now I am looking for ways to discourage the two cats from bringing moles and mice into the house through the pet door!! Our last cat did so only 2-3 times a year, these youngsters are doing so 2-3 times every NIGHT. It MUST be stopped before they graduate to bunnies, birds, and snakes. Please do not waste my time by lecturing me about keeping my cats indoors all the time, or uninstalling my pet door, because you will never convince me to do so. We are quite familiar with the concept of the cat bringing us gifts into our home, but this must be stopped!! I can lock them out at night, but I appeal to YOU, the reader, to provide me with a creative solution!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-25-2008, 11:58 AM
Premier Cat

Re: advice sought

There IS no creative solution. There is no way to control or modify this hunting behavior your cats are exhibiting when they are outside on their own. The only way to curtail this problem you are having is to CONTROL the door and/or cat-flap. This means you will have to visually check the cat to be sure it isn't carrying any unwanted presents into the house before you open the door and allow the cat to have access. If you wish to keep your cat flap un-monitored then you will have to expect the unexpected presents to continue.

One solution, since you state this problem occurs at night, is to allow unrestricted access via cat-flap during the day and restricting their access at night by either keeping the cats out or in.

Another solution I am vaguely recalling, is a particular cat-flap door that senses or reads the cat's profile outline and can tell if it has any 'gifts' in its mouth and will not allow entry until the foreign object is gone from the cat. If I recall correctly, that type door was in a prototype phase and/or was prohibitively expensive.

Welcome to CatForum. I have a soft-spot for orange kitties and I'm sorry I couldn't be more helpful,
Heidi

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-26-2008, 12:03 AM
Premier Cat

Re: advice sought

I can tell you that a cat door with enough computing power to sense if your cat is carrying a 'gift' for you would be a high-end product. In other words, quite expensive indeed.

My only other suggestion echoes Heidi's idea of manually controlling your cat's access.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page