Wean These Kittens? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-26-2008, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

Wean These Kittens?

I'm just wondering if I should start weaning the orphaned kittens I have taken in. They are coming closer to being 5 weeks old now. And just in the past few days I've had them, their development has taken HUGE strides! When I first got them, they were barely standing and not yet playing. Now-- they are HUGE, standing nice and tall, running FAST all over the house, climbing up everything, and they all have a full set of teeth. They also go to the bathroom totally on their own. They keep shredding up all the nipples I try to use (and clawing my hands up), because they chew and scratch so hard.

I know they are young, but its just the nipple and clawing issue.... and like I said, they do have all their teeth... When I put a shallow dish on the floor with formula in it, they walk away from it, and cry to me for a bottle.... But if I play "tough love" and refuse to give them the bottle, they eventually lap up the formula, little by little. Of course, it takes them an hour or so to get it all down, because they are being really stubborn about wanting the bottle. But I feel like if I just stick to my guns.... They are just so big, and I really wanna get them to the point where they can eat on their own... Should I just keep putting the dish down until they get the message?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-26-2008, 01:20 PM
Premier Cat

Re: Wean These Kittens?

You should be giving them a quality soft food and continue to give them the kitten formula in a bowl. They could be offered round the clock the very small kitten food by Royal Canin stage one also.

Be sure and feed them several times a day the soft kitten food. Baby kittens are alot of work! Sounds like your doing a great job and they are thriving. Now why didnt you post pictures in your post!!!!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-26-2008, 02:52 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa569
...clawing my hands up...
Ugh! I had forgotten all about that part!
When I bottle fed, I would put the babies in the bathtub and sit on the edge to pick them up/out one at a time to feed. It was INSANE! Kitties crying and scrabbling at the tub edge, the only one 'happy' was the one on the bottle at the moment. ...and even then, teeth in a death-grip on the nipple if I so much as twitched and the claws scrabbling for purchase on my hand/fingers holding the bottle to make sure it 'stayed' and didn't go away until they were done.

Keep small kibble dry kitten food in front of them at all times and begin putting down kitten canned food, increasing the kitten canned and decreasing the KMR. At 5wks they can learn to be big kitties. Maybe cut down the bottle feedings to 1-2xs/day for this week and the rest of their meals on their own, then next week they'll be fully on their own for eating meals.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-26-2008, 02:53 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie

I agree with Merry. If they were not chewing the nipples, I'd think they needed more time for suckling, but as it is, I think they'd be fine drinking formula and eating soft kitten food.

Aren't they sweet little monsters? It's kind of you to care for them!

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page