Is this actually true - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-26-2008, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

Is this actually true

Some lady that i replied to awhile ago saying that she shouldn't be breeding her cat because of all the unwanted cats and kittens. Well back on the ad site where i saw it is now the reply of First of all this person HAD no Idea Im willing to adopt Kittens As well, But I want the Best for My little Girl, And Ive Done my research, It is Better For Female Cat to Have A litter Of kittens Before you Get her Fixed, She is not as Prone to Become Overly Lazy And Gain weight, WHICH IS UNHEALTHY FOR A SMALL ANIMAL. Does she not know just because she is willing to adopt the kittens out doesn't mean they will always be in the same home and that she could just be adding to the population. So is that true what the lady said or is she just in a bit of an denial?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-26-2008, 02:49 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
Re: Is this actually true

The lady is in denial. It is not better for a female to have a litter, and she will only get fatter if she's fed more and played with less.

I don't think there is a need for DSH or DLH cats, when there are so many in cages, who are on on the list for euthanization.

I think limited breeding of excellent pedigreed cats is all right...within reason.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-26-2008, 03:10 PM
Premier Cat

I once worked up figures to prove my point, and I'll do so again, with my trusty calculator:

One female cat, allowed to have one litter before spaying.
Now, if EVERY cat owner felt that way, here is what would happen with all of the female kitten generations from that ONE cat allowed to have a litter and all her female offspring also allowed to have a litter.
One litter will be (for these purposes) four kittens. Half being male and half being female. Pregnancies occuring between 6-8mo age.

1 cat, has 2 female (female = F) kittens in her litter of four.
Those 2 F kittens have litters, resulting in 4 F kittens.
1 Year after first cat had her litter.
Those 4 F kittens have litters, resulting in 8 F kittens.
Those 8 F kittens have litters, resulting in 16 F kittens.
2 Years after first cat had her litter.
16 -> 32
32 -> 64
3 Years after first cat had her litter.
64 -> 128
128 -> 256
4 Years after first cat had her litter.
256 -> 512
512 -> 1024
5 Years after first cat had her litter.
1024 -> 2048

Five years, and the offspring from that first cat, each female allowed to have only one litter of kittens, and every female kitten also allowed to have one litter, resulted in over Two Thousand cats.
Keep in mind, this is NOT including the male kittens from those litters, my calculations were only counting the female kittens! The actual number would be closer to 4k.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-26-2008, 03:29 PM
Super Moderator

The person is VERY misinformed. Don't know where they did their research, but it's all Old Wives tales.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-26-2008, 03:39 PM
Cool Cat

Letting a female have a litter will not increase the likely hood of her being active and lean, neutering an animal will not make them fat. Neutering can change the metabolism so some animals IF FED THE SAME AMOUNT can gain weight, but if you are an intelligent person you will see this and cut back on food/increase exercise. Therefore neutering does not make the animal fat, feeding too much does.

There is no reason to add to the over population problem unless you have a cat who is an outstanding representation of their breed in both type and temperament and is healthy, carrying no serious genetic diseases. Only breed animals who will be doing their breed a favor. We don't need people who are breeding for pets, there are millions of perfect pets in shelters/rescues. we need breeders who are trying to make something more and who are offering something we cannot find in a shelter/rescue (as in a predictable temperament, conformation and a high likelihood of good health because the cats have been PROVEN in these areas) because some people DO need or want a very predictable animal and are not willing to gamble on a shelter kitten who may not grow to fit with what they need.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-26-2008, 03:45 PM Thread Starter

That makes me feel sorry for every pet who's owner wants to breed them. I think people who want to breed their animals should work atleast a week in a shelter of some sort to see what it's like for all those animals that their irresponsible breeding is creating. They think they have found the perfect home for all of them but that isn't always the case.

IF this person did her research at all which i do not think she did. It's usually the excuse oh we knew she would be a great mother, she would make cute babies or somewhere along the line's of those stupid reason's
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-26-2008, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

All my animals come from the shelter except my kitten casanova he comes from a breeder i've been trying to find a nice abyssinian from shelters but have had no luck. Most just want a purebred animal when they have no idea that there are purebred animals just the same as mixes at the shelter. It's always because someone got rid of them for one reason or another that they think a shelter animal won't be as suitable as a purebreed. As i see it it's never the animals fault it's always the person's fault but nobody ever see's it that way because animals can never speak for themselves and say they have done nothing wrong.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-26-2008, 04:27 PM
Premier Cat

Perhaps you can get an Abyssinian at a rescue. I hope this helps:

http://purebredcatbreedrescue.org/abyssinian.htm

Jeanie

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-26-2008, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

Most are from the states and i am from canada but maybe before december comes i will try and find an aby rescue in my province
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-26-2008, 09:06 PM
Premier Cat

I wish you luck!

Jeanie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page