Top 10 Cat Products - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Top 10 Cat Products

Presumably, even people new to cats should know the basic requirements – food, water, litter box. Some newbies may not be aware of things like immunizations, and even some long-time cat owners may not know all they should about things like nutrition. Personally, I think all of that information should be placed in a sticky titled something like:
Basic care for cats, including things you thought you knew, but didn't.

What I'm aiming for here is a list of things that aren’t essential, but do make life SO much easier (+ explanation, if needed, why they make life easier).
I have only one product to put on this list:

ZOOM GROOM
A lot of cats don't like being brushed, but nearly all of them love Zoom Groom. Some even prefer being Zoom-Groomed to being stroked. Zoom Groom is also a lot better at removing loose hair than most conventional hair-brushes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 01:40 PM
Cool Cat

Re: Top 10 Cat Products

For apartment dwellers: Litter Locker, like a diaper genie for cat litter. Scoop into the Litter Locker, turn the handle, your all set.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 01:42 PM

have you actually used a zoom groom on your cats?
I have on my short hairs, and they move away when
I try to use it on them.

this is the problem with any top 10 list,
as different cats may react differently,
also many same solution products are
too alike to fairly place one over another.

I agree this forum needs a separate
product section for member reviews.
I learn more about products reading
amazon.com than anything here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 02:50 PM
Premier Cat

I had a long-haired cat who lived for her Zoom Groom time, but as you said, they're all different. When I tried to comb Murphy, he moved away and looked at me like, "What the heck are you doing???"

Holly and Murphy
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 03:29 PM
Cool Cat

I also have a long-furred kitty that adores the Zoom Groom and a short-furred kitty that is cool towards it. Interestingly when I was buying it people told me that their short-furred kitty liked it better.

Other products worth a nod:

Da Bird (of course)
The fur attachment to Da Bird (I think they passed up an opportunity to call it Da Mouse)
Cardboard scratchy things (especially the angled cardboard scratchy things)
Laser pointers
Fur mice (cats know they're made of dead animals -- and they love it)
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 05:58 PM
Premier Cat

The fur-mouse on a string on Arianwen's cat tree is worn out. Where can I get a replacement, and slightly more on-topic, where can I get furry mouse toys for my mini-tiger?
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-29-2008, 05:25 AM
Banned

I can think of three 'top cat products' (IMHO of course)

Da Bird (even my lazy little fatty plays with this)
Zoom Groom - Toby actually doesnt like it very much but its excellent for removing loose hairs
Vet Bed - got one very recently,realised just how warm and snuggly it is for a cat and brought another one (see http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0302173952 for example).
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-29-2008, 07:13 AM

my kitties like:

Da Bird
The Cat Dancer
Furry little mice
Cosmic catnip
catnip filled boogie mat
laser pointer
aluminum foil balls
real feathers
lizards
and the stray fly or moth that gets inside
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-29-2008, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
Cat

I found out about Zoom Groom here on the Forum, and imported one (they're not available here in Israel). My previous cat RIP, my current cat (Nardamon) and a friends cat (long-hairs all) all loved it. Nardamon was adopted from a previous owner who said that he hated being brushed, but needed frequent brushing badly. My friend also adopted from a previous owner and was told roughly the same thing.

My real aim in starting this list was to find recommendations on other products .

Looks like I'm going to have to import Da Bird. Nardamon seems to belong to the minority of cats who don't react to catnip, and he hasn't shown much interest in the toys I have, even when he's in one of his "Daddy, I'm Bored – DO SOMETHING" moods .
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-29-2008, 10:32 AM

My cats didn't go for zoom groom but they like the furminator and it gets a hecka lot of fur out.

My top 10 in no particular order

Drinkwell fountain

Da Bird

Freeze dried chicken treats - as a treat and crumbled as a topper on food to make it more appetizing. I recommend "real food toppers" over halo due to cost.

Machine washable beds for carriers

SSScat - not perfect but it's the best solution I've found for preventing unwanted jumping in some areas of the house

Dirt Devil or similar - we really like the accu-charge stick. This will save you lots of time if you have hardwood floors. Before we would swiffer or use a broom constantly and then still have to dust-bust. This thing is vastly superior in every conceivable way

Enzyme cleaner spray bottle - we use nature's miracle I think. Great on just about any surface.

Furminator - for really reducing shedding and matting. There's a rip off brand with replaceable head that I might recommend more, but I don't know the name

These next two are just top 10 for me - maybe not everyone:

Chicken wire - by wrapping my deck with it, I can now let my cats go out onto the deck. They love it out there and I know they are safe because there's no way they can squeeze through. Cheap, effective solution.

Baby gate - placed in our front door to prevent cat jailbreaks. It has really set our minds at ease because there's no way they can escape in the time it takes us to drop groceries on the other side and come in. Guests are fairly used to it by now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page