Help cats tormenteted by local tomcat. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 08:01 PM Thread Starter

Help cats tormenteted by local tomcat.

My new estate is filling up and until recently my cats could come and go freely using their cat flap. I even stopped using the infa red collers as one cat kept losing them (expensive). I have recently had a new baby and everything is great now she's in her own sleeping pattern, till now! A new tomcat has found the catflap which is hidden from view and has decided he wants to come in every night 2 or 3 times a night. The thing is my two cats make it known he is not welcome and make a terrible racket and chase him, thus waking the baby. I have now had enough and decided to put the lock on the cat flap which upsets my cats but stops him coming in, wrong. Tonight he practically knocked the cat flap down to get in and I chased him half way down the street I was so angry. Now I could just block the catflap and push the big plant pot up against it, but i feel I'm being terrorised by a bloody cat. Can anyone suggest another way to stop this cats intrusions. My two cats are females of 3 and 4 years quite outgoing and feisty, but even they are scared of him. This is starting to cause arguments between me and my wife who wants me to tell the owners it's coming to our house, but what can they do? I am an animal lover but this thing is driving me to the brink, I'm not sure what to do, please help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 09:12 PM

Re: Help cats tormenteted by local tomcat.

I would tell the owner's as he's coming into your home and upsetting your new baby and your females i know i would do that and just tell them about what is going on and see if they can bring him in at night or stick him in the garage if they have one as it isn't fair to your cat's if you have to keep locking the cat flap door since it is their domain. Is he mainly an outdoor cat? and are your females fixed or is he fixed? because even though one cat maybe fixed it doesn't always stop a cat from trying to still mate as it shows with my foster cat i had he would always try and mate with my female because she isn't fixed. I hope you get the problem with this cat fixed soon and doesn't stress out your females to much. But absolutley talk to the owners of the male cat.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 09:24 PM
Super Moderator

Since you're married, you're going to have to get used to hearing this anyway:

Your wife is right.

Seriously, talk to the cat's owner. You're being stalked by a cat! In your own home!

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 09:30 PM
Premier Cat

Other side of the coin:

The male cat has as much right to be out/about as your own cats. The problem is him entering your home uninvited and the solution is denying him access to your home.

1. Reinstate the infrared collars and improve either the collar or the infrared device's connection to your Houdini cat.
2. Close the cat flap, with no access in/out for any cats, from dusk to dawn.
3. Close the cat flap permanantly and allow access from doors only when you are there to supervise the comings/goings.

You could inform the male cat's owner that you are having a problem and what steps you will be taking (listed above) to rectify it. If the male cat is not neutered, that [neutering] is the ONLY thing I would request that cat's owner to address with their animal. As a matter of fact, if the male cat is already neutered, I would not approach his owners at all and take care of my own home to secure it against this cat and any others that would prefer my home over theirs.
Sorry I wasn't more supportive of you,
Heidi

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 01:43 AM
Premier Cat

Just curious. Are you in the US or another country? England?

people in the US handle the indoor outdoor cat issue differently. I would tend to agree with Heidi but Im from the US.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 06:12 AM
Banned

If in the UK, you will find theres little point in talking to the owners of the tomcat as he will have the right to roam by law, as would your two little ladies.

But, regardless of that, I like Heidis suggestions of securing your cat flap against the intruder. I dont think its fair to exercise your right to let your kitties out and yet try to curtail the rights of the tomcats owner to do the same (not that I'm suggesting you want to do that, I'm just making the general point). If it were me, I'd put the infra red collars back on and block access to the cat flap at night.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 10:22 AM

When we had a dog flap at our old house.
There was a solid piece of wood that slid right down over the flap.
You can make one using mirror brackets. It was super secure!
They worked perfectly! Inexpensive fix too.
I think a determined cat can tip a plant over easy enough.

I agree with Heidi too....if the cat is not fixed, go talk to the owners straight away!
Never mind the fact that you do not need this cat to start peeing in your house!
If the cat is neutered....block the cat flap unless you are home.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-29-2008, 04:14 PM Thread Starter

thanks to all for your advice! we have given the cats new infared collars and hopefully this will help. However, we are very worried about one of our cats as her behaviour has changed so much over the past 2 days. She is very withdrawn and appears to be very nervous (more so than normal) when approached. we feel that she may have been attacked by this cat and is now fearing it will return. We intend on taking her to the vet for an examination, as she does not appear to be standing in her usual posture. We fear that she may be injured. We live in scotland and are unsure as to where the other cat is from although it does have a colar. Shall keep the forum posted thanks again to everyone we really appreciate you taking the time to help us and our moggies!! E AND L Gibson
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-29-2008, 11:30 PM
Premier Cat

I hope your kitty is physically okay. If she has only been psychologically traumatized, she should be able to get over that when she realizes her home is her safe haven once again and will not be invaded by other cats.
Let us know if the vet finds anything,
Heidi

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

Just had the cat at the vets today, the vet says she is stressed. She told us to make sure the collars are working correctly and that only our cats can get in. The cat flap has been blocked completely the past few nights and will remain so until i have tested the catflap. The vet also gave us a hormone plug-in to calm the cats. All in the vets bill was £52, I have just found the same hormone online for £14! The vet should have been wearing a mask. At least our cat is not ill and hopefully this cat will get bored. Can someone recommend a cat flap that is secure as I'm not that confident ours is secure enough.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page