Two cats better than one? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 02:46 PM Thread Starter

Two cats better than one?

I currently have a six year old female.. indoor/outdoor cat. She is great.. loving, playful, cuddly at times. She gets strung out at times as well, around 5 or 6am. She has been this way since she was a kitten, I don't see it really changing. I'm thinking about getting another kitten, mostly to keep her company. She has lived with cats before, but unexpectedly.. and they were adults. She wasn't too happy about it. Is this a bad idea.. could I make her act up more often.. or is this what she may need? I work long days and feel like it would be good for her to have company, as long as she doesn't feel replaced. I have been told a male kitten would probably be best. Our neighbor has a male and she seems most tolerant of him.. although there is still hissing at times. A friend recently told me their cat has been much better since getting another kitten. It became more relaxed and not as in need of too much attention.

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 04:04 PM
Premier Cat

Re: Two cats better than one?

I'm sure other members who have experience with multiple cats will chime in, but it sounds like your kitty is doing what most cats do around 5 or 6 o'clock in the morning. That is one of their prime hunting times, and an indoor kitty will want to be active at that time, unless you and your cat have reached a prior agreement.

Introducing a kitten to a resident adult cat is usually not a problem, and often provides a way for two cats to keep each other entertained while their human is away.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 05:29 PM
Super Moderator

The 5 or 6am crazies can be combated by not feeding her until 45-60 minutes after you get up. Cats need to hunt before they eat, so they need to start hunting and hour or so before they're used to eating. So if feeding is one of the last things you do before leaving the house, then she'll just be waking up when you do (assuming you don't take 3 hours to get ready ).

As far as a second cat goes, my standard advice is to only get another cat if YOU want it, not because you think your existing cat wants a friend. Your cat may not appreciate the new baby at all and may wish you never brought the little interloper home. On the other hand it may work out perfectly and they become best buddies. But you need to be prepared to deal with the issues (personality change in your existing cat, spraying, fights, food aggression etc.) that may arise if it takes months for them to accept each other...so you need to be committed to both cats.

If you do decide you're ready for a second cat please do some research on cat introduction processes. I don't believe in long drawn out processes (2-3 week kind of things). But I think an initial separation, scent swapping, seeing each other through a crack door kind of thing over a period of 3-7 days helps quite a bit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 06:22 PM

ahenness - this topic was recently discussed;

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=53125
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 06:48 PM
Super Moderator

This subject is brought up a lot with new members.

I would leave things as they are. If she gets to go outside, she's getting a lot of new experiences and adventures every day.

Like Lisa said, get a second cat only if YOU want another cat, and there's definitely no guarantee they'll be buddies. Cinderella and Cleo will never be friends. They co-exist without fighting.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 11:23 PM
Cool Cat

I'll cast my vote for "you can never really tell what will happen" and throw my support behind "don't get a second cat unless YOU want a second cat".

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page