Questions for those with cats and baby(ies) - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Questions for those with cats and baby(ies)

I have 3 cats at home and I'm pregnant - due in January. We live in a small apartment and there is no way I can't lock out the cats out of our bedroom. I want to keep the baby next to me, in a bassinet and later move her/him in a crib in our second bedroom. Now my problem is, how to keep the cats away from the bassinet? I was thinking to maybe have someone make me some kind of 'cover' (with holes so there is enough air).

How are the cats usually around the baby? Are they coming close to the baby or are they keeping distance? I'm just wondering....this is my first baby and I'm not sure what to expect.

My other option would be to keep the baby in the 2nd bedroom (the cats are not allowed there because we keep there computers, guitars, etc) - which will be turned into nursery. but in this case, the baby wouldn't be close to me. Not sure if that's good right from the beginning.

Thanks!
eva

-eva-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 09:21 PM
Premier Cat

Re: Questions for those with cats and baby(ies)

I think most cats are okay around babies. They sniff, and that's about it.

cats leave paw-prints on your heart
It takes a cat to turn a house from a cold building into a warm home.
Cats teach us it's the simplest things that really matter
John
eternal angel Arianwen
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 09:27 PM
Super Moderator

They make really nice outside enclosures now, I'm sure it would be pretty easy to keep the baby there - with a monitor, of course, to keep an eye on him/her.

Seriously, my friends with cats and kids have never had a problem, even with a newborn. As long as you're not using catnip baby powder, you should be fine.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 10:13 PM
Premier Cat

You could buy some fabric (1 or 2 yards) at JoAnn's or Hancock's that is see-through. Either a sheer panel or tulle, like what is used under wedding/formal dresses? Though I think the tulle would be scratchy if it got on the baby's skin, you may want to get a sheer OR! you could buy a sheer panel window treatment (or pair of panels) from Walmart or Target. A bonus is they should be launderable. Just drape it over the bassinet, you can see the baby, baby gets air flow and it is a visible barrier for the cats...who shouldn't want to jump on it or burrow under it to get to the baby.

I don't have kids, but I think you should be fine. After you have the baby but before you both come home from the hospital, have your husband bring home a piece of clothing or a blanket that has been on the baby for the cats to get familiar with the smell. He should put it on his lap and call the cats to him to let them 'investigate'. Having him near to talk to them and pet them, will reassure them that it isn't something to be feared or aggressive with. This will help the transition when you bring the baby home. The smell will be remembered and they'll only have to get used to the baby's sounds and erratic movements.

I think you and your cats will be fine. Let us know how it goes, your information could help other expectant mothers to transition their cats to accepting a new baby.
Heidi

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 10:56 PM

It really depends on the cat.... mine were six-years-old when my first child was born. They just sniffed him and walked away. As far as sleeping, they always slept in the curve of my legs at night, so I really wasn't worried about them getting close to the baby when looking for a cozy place to sleep. You'll really have to use your own judgement though. Heidi offers some really good advise above as far as getting your kitties used to the smell of the newborn.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-29-2008, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Thank you for the great ideas! I think I will go to stores and see what I could find...just in case. Our cats sleep usually at our feet too but I want to be prepare, in case they decide to sleep with the baby.

thanks!

I just found something that could maybe work. What do you think? Here is the link to the item:

http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/44361010

-eva-

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-29-2008, 02:22 PM
Super Moderator

If your cats wanted to get into the bassinet, that wouldn't stop them. In fact, they might get tangled up in it and make things worse. And if your cats are anything like mine, they're going to WANT to climb that thing.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-29-2008, 11:33 PM
Cat Addict

I hear that a lot of people who need to keep their cat out of their baby's crib use a crib tent (just google search it...they're sold all over). I would think that one would fit on a portacrib as well...but I've never seen one for bassinets.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

I love the crib tent! thanks for the idea!

-eva-

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 05:05 PM
Super Moderator

It depends on the cat...some can be 100% trusted around babies and others can't. I would be cautious of letting the kitties climb in the bassinet. Even if they don't intend harm, they could lay on the baby and obstruct breathing...afterall, most newborns weigh less than a cat and are very helpless. I'm not a parent but if I did have a baby, I'm not sure I'd like the idea of building a tent around my newborn...even if it is just see through fabric, won' the cats still be able to knock it down and land on baby? Are the litterboxes in your bedroom? Is that why you can't lock them out of it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page